View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
 We have liftoff.....AZU 250 rebuild thread 
Firing on two.

Post Re: We have liftoff.....AZU 250 rebuild thread
When it eventually does stop, (intermittant), it parks......

(only 2 terminals on the switch)

November 22nd, 2020, 12:04 am
Firing on two.

Been a while since ive been inside the wiper motor. :)

If i recall correctly, the motor gets it ground via the body and chassis back to the battery.

That leaves the two wires for power coming from the switch.

When the switch button is pushed in, it supplies power to the motor And the motor turns..

When you turn off at the button, power is supplied to the other wire. At the motor end of this wire, the power is going to the motor winding via a little switch operated by a cam. Simular an ignition points.

The cam switch is probably not opening due to a little wear.

It can be fixed if you dismantle, but its a little fiddly and needs patience. :)

November 22nd, 2020, 10:49 am
Firing on two.

Soooo, took out dash and turned on the wiper to see what was going on. There is a contact operated by a cam. It seemed to me that the cam was not opening the contact and this caused it to run on.....

I took a flat blade screwdriver gave the arm a small tweak so that the contact opened.

Seems fine now

November 22nd, 2020, 9:33 pm
Firing on two.

during my dash change I replaced the indicator switch. Old one had "Clacker" new one doesn't. But I do have a indicator light. I bought a new, noisier flasher unit so made a wee holder and bolted it to bulkhead. Tested it with ignition on and it was louder.

Out and about on Saturday and although the indicator light was working, I could not hear the new relay........Investigated when I got home to find that I actually had no indicators when the engine was running, but all working when on ignition.......weird. Put the old one back in meantime.

can "clacker" be easily transferred to "new" switch??

I had also added a voltage indicator light ( https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12v-24v-LED- ... 2749.l2649 ) and this was showing an overcharge when driving, close to 15v.......I swapped out the regulator and its fine now...

Next, car starts instantly from cold, settles down in a few seconds and idles like a sewing machine. Some hesitation on acceleration but fine after a short warm up. Drove around for 30mins or so, in town and highway speeds. Switched off when home, left for a few mins and tried a restart.......No joy, just cranked with no indication of a start.

Having read up on hot starts, I had a spare coil on standby. Swapped it out and it fired up straightaway......I'll go thro the same routine with the "new" coil.

In other news, the 602 runs great, was cruising at 65mph on the highway and no nasty noises. Roll is MUCH reduced after reading up and adjusting front bumpstops !

Getting there, hoping for some more dry roads next week....

November 30th, 2020, 12:19 am
Firing on two.

Assuming you have a hazard switch, it has 2 feeds. One direct, and one on ignition on. Possibly got something turned around there.

November 30th, 2020, 12:39 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah, hazard switch is there....Wiring is good

Old flasher unit works fine.......Just too quiet. Supplier has confirmed this behaviour has been seen before

November 30th, 2020, 1:56 pm
Firing on two.

Well, thats weird!

November 30th, 2020, 3:18 pm
Firing on two.

You didn't get a modern flasher with electronics in it? I had one and it refused to work.
For your ignition check the points distance, they are closed to long and heat up the coil that way. Do you have a way to check the dwell angle?
If it's to high it will heat up.106 -112 degrees (58 - 62%)

November 30th, 2020, 8:36 pm
Firing on two.

Just getting back out to garage today.....

Yeah, flasher was for conventional and led bulbs. I've spoken to supplier, hes gonna send out something else.

I checked the points manually and they were a bit tight, so I adjusted, then checked timing with the strobe....managed to leave the 5.5mm drill bits in the hole....twice, (fortunately, being brittle they just snapped and fell out...!) Checked that the marks were good and repainted)

Got confused why static mark was in wrong place when engine running but some searching on here explained what was going on ! Advance mark looks good when revving.

Remembered I had geriatric "Gunston Testtune" in the shed and it had dwell function! So back out, hook it up and dwell was spot on :)

I'll need to wait on the snow melting before I retest the hot start issue...

I have a gammatronix unit to do away with condenser, I'll need to fit that sometime......

December 4th, 2020, 2:48 pm
Firing on two.

First time out in 2021.......statrted up just fine after 4 months cold :)

February 24th, 2021, 2:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 183 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next