View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 voltage regulator 
2CV Fan

Post voltage regulator
Hi all,

I need some more advice please......I have a suspect regulator so bought a new one from Ecas.
I'm not sure about the connections.

The old one is a Lucas and has different terminal markings to the new unit. The old Lucas has only 2 connections used, see photo, whereas the replacement has 3. I suspect the EXC is the same as the DF on the new one, being the field connection.
But why 2 + on the old unit..
Also the new one appears to want a multi-plug connection.

Comments much appreciated, thanks.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

January 28th, 2020, 7:10 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: voltage regulator
The fixture feets of the old one are the minus maybe?

January 28th, 2020, 7:37 pm
Firing on two.

Post a link to the new one from ecas. :)

January 28th, 2020, 11:07 pm
Firing on two.

Earth D-
+12V from contact D+
EXC connection from alternator DF

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

January 28th, 2020, 11:30 pm
Firing on two.

There are 2 types, depending on model and year. It's difficult to see in your photos but it looks like the new one you bought is the later 2cv type (which has a multi-plug) whereas your old one (if it has screw terminals or spade terminals screwed on) is the type fitted to older 2cvs and most Dyanes, AKs etc. Ecas sell both types.

January 29th, 2020, 3:25 am
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Thanks for the info.

I'm not sure how to link to the Ecas site, but the second choice they sell has different connections yet again.

I have checked the battery when engine turned off, it reads 13.6v so that seems alright and with the engine running it reads about 14.6v with or without load, again that seems ok.
So I'm not sure the regulator is faulty but I intended to change it to try to cure slight running problems I do have. At night I noticed the headlights flickering along with the dash light. I cleaned various grounds and that seemed to cure it for a week but has returned. The voltage gauge sometimes shows a healthy charge then next time is very low, and today, just to confuse me some more, when moving off from standstill the engine is popping and stuttering initially.

There's more!!! After always being an instant starter it now sometimes won't start without an effort and but seems to catch when I release the starter on the key, almost as if all the current is going to the starter and not to the coil.

Blimey, it's like London buses used to be: nothing for ages then loads at once.

Last edited by indian46 on January 29th, 2020, 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 29th, 2020, 1:05 pm
Firing on two.

Bad connections, particularly ground, can cause charging issues.

January 29th, 2020, 8:45 pm
2CV Fan

I appreciate all your input you guys.

I have changed the voltage regulator and the various symptoms seem to have evaporated! I also looked at the fuses and the one in the lights, petrol tank sender circuit seemed to be a bit dicky.
Now, Instant start, no flickering lights, no popping when starting off and the voltage meter now reads just below half, dropping a little lower when ticking over. So I suspect and hope the car is cured.

I reckon several demons have been conspiring against me and have got fed up and gone!

Thanks again.

February 1st, 2020, 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]