View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 4:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 brakes 
2CV Fan

Post brakes
Hi, my first post of 2020......slight problem with the front disc brakes. Can you help please.
For a while, on a damp morning the front brakes make a kind of graunching (spelling?) noise and the car looses braking. Going through a flooded lane recently I lost all brakes until they dried out with use.

Today I fitted new pads expecting the old ones to be worn down but they were still pretty meaty. They did not appear to be damp with any fluid. The calipers also appear to be dry.

But on the test drive the brakes were the same, noisy and at first not gripping.

Then, after about 2 miles with the pedal nice and hard with brakes working ok, I reversed into a parking bay and the pedal went to the floor! Moving forward again and the pedal and brakes were normal! Since then it's all ok. Have I got a spooked brake system?

Any observations most welcome.

January 24th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: brakes
Hi :)
How is your brake fluid level?
Are your disks scored?
How much do you drive it?

January 25th, 2020, 12:12 am
2CV Fan

Thanks for that Roger.

The car is used daily and the discs are not scored.

But....it's now solved: after a quick spin round the block I heard squealing noises from the brakes.
Looking at the calipers I saw that one of the pads was adrift so much so that the piston was against the disc. Hence the noise.

One reason not to fit pads in the dark!

Luckily the disc had prevented the piston popping out from the caliper, so with a small screwdriver pushed down through the small hole on the top of the caliper, I was able to persuade the piston back into position. (Not sure what the option would have been had that not worked!).

re: losing brake pressure when reversing must have been the pad being dragged out of position and the piston having no resistance.

I may have learned a lesson about working in the dark, who knows!

January 25th, 2020, 11:40 am
Firing on two.

You could have braked for a while til the caliper was worn away and popped out. I had an "client" who had a strange noise when braking. On inspection it turned out his brake pads were used so thin they dropped out and he was braking on the caliper. The enginebay was covered in aluminium flakes from the caliper....He came just in time.

Last edited by AZL57 on January 27th, 2020, 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 25th, 2020, 2:00 pm
Firing on two.

@indian46

Been there, done that, got the underpants. :lol:

January 26th, 2020, 12:45 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Me too.

Russ

January 27th, 2020, 9:14 pm
Profile WWW