View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 7:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Hazard Flashers - wiring diagram? 
Firing on two.

Post Hazard Flashers - wiring diagram?
My old AZU 250 (end of the 1960s) has had hazard flashers added at some point. It's the old small dashboard with the circular switches: none of those later oblong ones.

I know there's an oblong switch for hazard flashers as fitted to the later 2CVs and I think (but the Haynes Book of Lies doesn't show it) that it used a single flasher relay and a three-pole switch - ie the switch opened/shut three circuits at the same time.

I've got a wiring diagram for a flasher unit which was an after-market fit for classic cars that uses a second flasher relay and a double pole switch. I've got one like that fitted to my H-van.

But the AZU hazard lights operate from one of those (repurposed) parking light switches, with an arrow on it. Originally by turning it left or right you could select sidelights on either the left or the right of the van. Now turning it either way gives the hazard lights. I am not sure if it uses a second flasher relay (it's absolutely tipping it down with rain here in the Cantal, and it's really not a day for removing the battery to see the wires behind the dashboard).

I think someone (possibly the French Post Office) came up with something very clever. It even works - as it should! - with the ignition switched off.

Has anyone seen a wiring diagram for that?

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

November 3rd, 2019, 11:44 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Hazard Flashers - wiring diagram?
Hey Derek
The book of lies shows a diagram for hazards in the supplement section. Page 195 in my edition. It may switch four circuits. Indicators on each side of car = 2, plus it switches from dash indicator tell to hazard tell. Also switches supply from switched to un switched.

Don't have a diagram as per your request. However, the main issue would be to stop bleed back into the normal indicator system. A switching relay may do it. :)

November 3rd, 2019, 5:46 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks Roger.

My copy of The Book ends at page 180, which might explain why I don't have that particular circuit diagram.

Here is the wiring diagram for the two-flasher-unit system: it's quite simple as you can see, but just the same it requires a double pole switch.

You can see how that prevents bleed-back into the normal indicator system. And although that switch is described as a double pole one, in fact the two input connections can in practice be a single supply, as they are connected together. It's only important that the two output wires should be isolated from each other when the switch is off.

But I don't how the version that works from the parking lamp switch operates properly. When the rain stops I'll have a look.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

November 3rd, 2019, 8:55 pm
Firing on two.

Dennis
This is how its done on the square switch with one flasher.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

November 3rd, 2019, 11:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]