View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Brake adjustment 
Firing on two.

Post Brake adjustment
It was time for the CT (MOT) here in France. The handbrake was about 6 clicks, so I adjusted the cables by screwing the wing nots down about 3 turns, hand brake now about 4 clicks. Sailed through the CT, minor imbalance of handbrake but well acceptable.
However, before the handbrake cable adjust, the foot brake gave superb performance with light / moderate foot pressure. After the handbrake adjustment, it needed heavy foot brake pressure to give sufficient braking to pass the CT. I assume that the shoes are not in good contact with the front brake drums now and either need to bed in, or take the whole lot apart and adjust properly using the special tool. Or undo the handbrake cables a bit - I may go for that option to see what happens !

July 4th, 2019, 12:23 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Brake adjustment
You should adjust the brake shoes with the nuts behind the drum, just till you hear it lightly scraping the drums. For the adjusting put the car on a jack, wheel just of the ground so it can rotate. Loose the handbrake cables a bit before adjusting later you can turn them back to the right tension.

July 4th, 2019, 5:19 pm
Firing on two.

Its been a while and apologies for not replying sooner. Yesterday, took the wings off etc, drums off, shoes all clean and dry, no sign of oil. Checked the shoes were aligned with the drive shaft by using the special alignment tool. Checked the pistons were working freely under hydraulic pressure, returned Ok etc.

Replaced hubs and adjusted using the 2 big nuts on the backplate. Foot pedal movement about 3 cm and is then solid. I need to press hard to get moderate braking and very hard for wheels to lock.

If I use the handbrake, about 6 clicks for light braking and 8 or 9 for wheel lock.

Is there a possibility that the master cylinder adjustment is wrong and that there should be more free movement on the pedal or something ?

Bob

October 2nd, 2019, 11:26 am
Firing on two.

Not experienced with 2cv drums, but ...

Are the shoes glazed? Sand paper may help if they are.

Are you turning the adjusters the correct rotation?

Is it twin leading edge, or one leading and one trailing?

Are the shoes fitted correctly if they are not identical?

October 2nd, 2019, 11:42 am
Firing on two.

Shoes 10,000 km old. - Not glazed

1 shoe leading, 1 shoe trailing

Brakes were perfect until I adjusted the wingnuts for the CT, The nuts are now backed off, but problem exists.

October 2nd, 2019, 1:01 pm
Firing on two.

Were they dusty? Dust can act as ball bearings. A face mask, and a good dose of compressed air can do wonders. As can some lube on the mechanisms.

October 2nd, 2019, 2:36 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks Roger, The puzzle to me, and I have been mucking about with cars for over 60 years but still willing to learn, the puzzle is I can't see anything wrong. Yes, the hubs were nice and clean, very little dust in there. Not that it should make any difference apart from making it easier to get hubs on / off, I removed the 'lip' on the drums where the shoes don't make contact. I have backed off the master cylinder pushrod a tad and will give it a road run tomorrow to see if it makes a difference.

October 2nd, 2019, 3:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]