View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 2:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Voltage Regulator - H-Van 
Firing on two.

Post Voltage Regulator - H-Van
In the hope that someone might know (and apologies for asking on the 2CV site).

The voltage regulator on my H-van is looking very old and tired (for example, it sits on rubber "feet" that insulate it from the chassis, and these have now largely "melted" away).

Are there two different kinds of voltage regulator, one kind for dynamos (which is what I have) and one for alternators? Or are they all basically similar?

Mine - marked "Paris-Rhone", but the further details are rusted off - is quite a large square box (a touch larger than the size of the windscreen-wiper motor), and it has three colour-coded terminals, red, yellow, black, plus an extra one that is an earth. The wiring diagram suggests that there's an extra wire on the earth terminal that goes direct to the dynamo, but it's absent on mine. I expect the dynamo is simply earthed elsewhere.

Any suggestions where I might get a replacement?

Thanks in advance.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

April 2nd, 2019, 5:23 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Voltage Regulator - H-Van
Try https://www.leboncoin.fr/

April 2nd, 2019, 7:44 pm
Firing on two.

Can't help you find one, but regarding the dynamo/alternator difference. I would suggest the main difference would be the dynamo output needs regulating, where as an alternator output requires both regulating and conversion from AC to DC.

April 2nd, 2019, 8:20 pm
Firing on two.

Might be the same as used on citroen traction or citroen u23 like they have the same engine. Is your 12 or 6 volts? What is the dynamo number?

April 2nd, 2019, 9:28 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks guys. After trying on leboncoin (looked quite a nice one, but already sold - the usual problem, the vendor has to take it off himself, and usually forgets) I found one on French fleaBay. Apparently brand new and otherwise identical to what I have.

Mine's the 12V version. But there were even 6V Paris Rhone regulators available. And I was surprised. I suppose I should check the obvious sources first!

1982 Red Special - RHD

April 3rd, 2019, 10:06 am
Firing on two.

Well Dennis, It should match with the dynamo otherwise it won't work. Can you give me the type info from your dynamo a paris-rhone too i pressume. Are you shure it's the regulator not working or are de dynamo bushes worn off? Get us a picture of the regulator...might help. The rubber feed are just ordinary grommets nothing special. Regards fer

April 3rd, 2019, 11:40 pm
Firing on two.

Sorry not to have come back before this, Fer, but I am pretty sure that what is coming in the post is the same as what I have - only unused. It'll be "new old stock" I think, as Paris-Rhone were taken over by Valeo in the 1970s, and I don't think they now use the old name.

The vendor had a small number - 5 or 6 - for sale. When it arrives I will try to put up pictures of the old one and the new one.

The vendor said it was suitable for a small range of vehicles including the ID and HY. So I am reasonably sure it'll be right.

Here's the link in case anyone else wants one.

1982 Red Special - RHD

April 8th, 2019, 7:54 pm
Firing on two.

Hope for you it is the right one. As i said it has to match with the dynamo... ;-)
i do find an YT2113 for the HY type 72 of 1963 an onwards?

April 8th, 2019, 9:26 pm
Firing on two.

This may be of interest (but probably no practical use to owners of 2Cvs).

I wanted the electrics to be working properly as I had a little over 500km to drive to take the H-Van to have its gearbox rebuilt - by Techni-Tacot. I'd fitted the new voltage regulator which was similar but perhaps not identical to the original one.

After driving about 30 km I found that I was getting relatively frequent stuttering from the engine, lasting a few seconds and coming back every 30 seconds or less. I almost turned back, but after another 10 km or so all that stopped and I continued the drive with no trouble. I'd guessed maybe a couple of plug leads shorting out, or some temporary blockage in the carb, but I couldn't find anything.

I mentioned this in passing to Thierry Thomas who runs Techni-Tacot, and he knew immediately what the problem was. He said that 1-2-3 electronic ignition (which I have) doesn't like the power supply from a dynamo: it's sufficiently irregular to confuse the circuit board. In addition to doing the gearbox he'll fit an alternator (as found in later H-Vans).

This bit is speculation, but I'm guessing that the problem comes at least in part from the mechanical voltage regulator, with contacts that are either closed for charging or open when the battery voltage is OK. The electronic ignition doesn't mind the contacts being closed when the battery is charging (hence the first 30 km were OK), or when they are open nearly all the time (hence the remaining 500 km). What it doesn't like is the contacts opening and shutting rapidly.

Does that sound like it might be right?

Well, one thing that might be of interest to 2CV owners. My route took me south-east down the N106 through the Cevennes, up and down the passes and valleys. Wonderful scenery and great fun in an H: but probably even more so in a 2CV.

There are a couple of pictures here:

Going up the hill

Down from the Col de Montmirat

1982 Red Special - RHD

May 6th, 2019, 6:03 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks Dennis, that quite useful information. Probably the moral her is, if your going to update, then update everything. :D

So, how is the gearbox. I'm just rebuilding a 2cv one after borrowing my sister's 2cv and having silent gearbox envy. :mrgreen: :D

May 6th, 2019, 6:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next