View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Lost Idle 
Firing on two.

Post Lost Idle
Oddly this happened to me last year all of a sudden and the fix was adjusting a mixture screw.
It seems to have done the same and I haven't had time to fiddle with it yet. How odd though for it to go out if adjustment all of a sudden.

Doesn't matter about idle screw, it's on max, but as soon as it comes to idle speed it falters and dies.

October 16th, 2018, 9:49 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Lost Idle
Hi Ian

It may be a good idea to check that fix you did last year with the choke pull off. The plate that you put the tape under. It may need a new piece of tape, or screws tightening.

It would be a good idea to eliminate this as a fault.

:)

October 16th, 2018, 10:01 am
Firing on two.

Oh there was something wasn't there. Not the choke pull off but that other thing that gaskets weren't available for. I have to say I am impressed at your memory skills there Roger.

The car is running like an absolute champ still but takes a bit of skill in traffic. So i haven't used it, it was hard to get it home when stop and go traffic was the thing.

Also on mine that mixture screw sits quite loosely. I got a replacement but it seemed like a different thread so kept with the original. But I do wonder if it wobbles out of adjustment.
I did have to adjust the idle stop screw recently as it was going too low.

October 16th, 2018, 10:56 am
Firing on two.

You appear to have the same symtoms as before, and the tape fixed it before. Take a look as it was not a permanent fix :D

October 16th, 2018, 12:49 pm
Firing on two.

Yes I remember now and I bet that's it. The tape just sealed off the holes to whatever it was on the carb. Thank you.

October 17th, 2018, 9:55 am
Firing on two.

Check that it is the issue first. :D

If so, a more permanent solution can be found here.

https://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/advanced ... ke&x=0&y=0

New unit or blanking plate. Either way, a new gasket.

Or, a new piece of tape .....

October 17th, 2018, 11:07 am
Firing on two.

Air leak, carb to manifold ??

October 17th, 2018, 2:56 pm
Firing on two.

Or the idle jet is blocked... on an single carb i once lost the air mixture screw and got stuck in the midddle of a crossroad in france..
A few minutes later a man on a motorbike comes. I ask him if there is a scrapyard or an old garage in the neigbourhood. No he sais but his cousin living one street away had the barn stuffed with 2cv parts... I drove there and got a new mixture screw and a cup of coffee. ;-) The man did sahara raids with 2cvs.

October 19th, 2018, 5:20 pm
Firing on two.

I tried replacing the tape but no joy, same condition with no idle. I tried adjusting the mixture screw which had no effect whatsoever. So I guess what that's telling me is I do indeed have an air leak.

It got me home today so on my next manic hour off at some point I'll have more of an investigation. I've had the intake off recently so could be that, although new gaskets and so on so it *should * be OK. I will see.

As ever, thanks for suggestions and help.

October 19th, 2018, 7:35 pm
Firing on two.

It was a loose intake bolt. In actual fact its one where the thread is bad anyway. It needs a helicoil really because it's completely gone now. For now I obtained a bolt slightly bigger and it just about tightened ok.

Good enough for MOT in the morning anyway, it was looking like I might have to cancel.

October 24th, 2018, 7:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next