View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 12:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Xantia STOP Lamp 
Firing on two.

Post Xantia STOP Lamp
I know it's not A series but...

Started the Xantia up this morning, and the big red STOP lamp stayed lit.

No other warning lamps lit.

Checked LHM, bit low, so topped up. No change.

Turned it off, got the 2CV out and used that to go to work ( should have been first choice I know!). STOP lamp still staying lit tonight.

Any ideas where I should look for a fault? It's a 2.1TD, high mileage.

It'll be laid up till after CZ now, but any help/advice will be appreciated.

Ta,

Aidan

July 22nd, 2009, 7:49 pm
super slot

Post Re: Xantia STOP Lamp
y0 Rumble, here's a few threads that *may* help you out...

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 68&start=0

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ning+light

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... ning+light

July 22nd, 2009, 8:49 pm
Profile WWW
Oil level, coolant level?

My Stoplamp came on on the BX the other day-it was LHM, coolant and oil! :oops: :oops:

July 22nd, 2009, 8:56 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks for that chaps - I'll be checking engine oil and coolant levels I think. Certain that lhm is OK. I've not had any overheating probs or oil warning light issues though.
Odd that it came on when fired up from cold. Was parked on a slight slope, but nothing dramatic.

It can all wait for the next 2 weeks though - slightly more interesting things to attend too somewhere else!!!

July 23rd, 2009, 12:07 am
2CV Fan

I have a BX with 290,000kms. Sitting out in the hot Australian sun for the last year has cooked the dash. Neither the oil pressure, oil temperature or water temperature guages work. The aircon doesn't work nor do any of the heater fans. The radiator was leaking until I hit the offending areas with 2 pack bog. There is an internal leak in the hydraulics, the pump is working overtime, the suspension is crap, etc,etc. I am just waiting until a Xanta becomes available before burying the BX.

What has this got to do with your Xantia? Well, My STOP light was coming on in conjunction with the coolant symbol. Happened when turning right or when stopping suddenly. Sometimes that meant that the water coolant was low, so I filled it up. Sometimes it meant that the engine oil was low. I didn't realise that it had a dual function. Checked the radiator - full. Checked the engine oil and it was not even showing on the dipstick. I immediately did an oil change (including filter). Ended up with 1.5 litres of old oil drained. With 5 litres of new oil, no lights come on.

This car rarely used oil, but once things stopped working, I started to neglect it, didn't check the things I should have and that was the result.

Just place the car on a level surface. Check engine oil and coolant. Start engine and check LHM levels. Rotate the car from lowest to highest suspension settings for about 5 cycles, as this lubricates the front McPherson struts. All of this costs 10 minutes of your time. You don't earn enough money in 10 minutes to repair any resultant damage because of low fluids, but you do earn enough to buy yourself a pint because you have been a good buy.

Daffy Duck

July 27th, 2009, 3:25 pm

Daffy Duck wrote:
I have a BX with 290,000kms. Sitting out in the hot Australian sun for the last year has cooked the dash. Neither the oil pressure, oil temperature or water temperature guages work. The aircon doesn't work nor do any of the heater fans. The radiator was leaking until I hit the offending areas with 2 pack bog. There is an internal leak in the hydraulics, the pump is working overtime, the suspension is crap, etc,etc. I am just waiting until a Xanta becomes available before burying the BX.
Daffy Duck

Hey Daffy, If you took out the "car references" it sounds like you are describing my ageing body!!!
You know...Too much time in the Australian sun; high blood pressure; lots of leaks; things are sagging ... nothing works much anymore...and they are just waiting to bury me ( and get their grubby little hands on my workshop and Citroen stuff) :lol:
Cheers
Bob

July 30th, 2009, 1:12 pm
gym bunny

dont worry Aidan, check for leaks on the ground. Justins Activa STOP light only used to go off if you cained it really hard.... lol!

As long as everything works and it goes up down stops and goes then give it a gentle trip out then re-check. If still a problem do what BX owners do with ABS lights and take the bulb out!

P.S Ive got a lovely Exclusive petrol on ebay with no stop light worries?!

August 17th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Sorted the stop light issues my adding coolant to the expansion tank - over 1.5 ltrs!!! Hadn't noticed a leak, just never checked it since the winter.

August 18th, 2009, 12:01 am
super slot

all the troubles i've had from 'normal' cars always stem from teh cooling system. bloody things!

August 18th, 2009, 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]