View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 10:28 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Battery cut out switch/Alternator 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Battery cut out switch/Alternator
So am I correct in saying the alternator stops producing power when the ignition is turned off regardless of the engine still turning?

June 3rd, 2018, 3:56 pm
Firing on two.

That's about it. As the exciting current from the demand in the system is shut off by switching off, then so too does the output from the alternator. There may be some residual magnetism in the rotating alternator, but not enough to do any harm for the few rpm remaining. (He says - without an electrical hat in sight . . .)

June 3rd, 2018, 6:42 pm
Firing on two.

yes, I agree with that statement. BUT if I cut the battery out before the ignition is turned off, that would be another question! In effect, the alternator would be feeding the ignition circuit and the alternator regulator. The power from the alternator would have nowhere to go and would probably frazzle something ?
BobH

June 4th, 2018, 8:13 pm
Firing on two.

Agreed, so don't do it then. :D

Could you explain to me, the purpose of the cut off you have and how it functions.

June 4th, 2018, 9:16 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Roger, since this switch doesn't have an alternator protection feature, isn't it really just a 'battery isolation' switch? :roll:

June 4th, 2018, 9:31 pm
Firing on two.

Ken, I don't know, that's why I was asking. :roll:

What's its point, how does it function?

June 4th, 2018, 9:46 pm
Firing on two.

Battery isolator, cut out switch - just about the same in my book, but as ken says, there are switches with alternator protection as discussed earlier in this thread. The purpose is to prevent a fire from an electrical circuit fed by the battery when the engine is at a standstill, either a circuit where a component has failed and shorted out to earth, or wiring which has chafed and shorted out to earth. A fire is probably the next worst thing that can happen after a collision and in many cases can be the end of your 'pride and joy'.

If you eliminate the battery, then it is impossible for an electrical fire after you have parked up. Well nearly impossible as the impossible is always possible - Said the Camel to the eye of a needle.

June 7th, 2018, 4:22 pm
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2