View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 2:54 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Ventilation flap 
Firing on two.

Post Ventilation flap
Hi :)

Got a small but annoying problem. Before I knew better, I bought a ventilation flap from a big German company. Got it painted along with the car, and when I mounted the rubber seal, I discovered that the flap is crap. The two parts of steel that makes the flap, inner part and outer part, was misaligned when spot welded together during production. Because of that, it's not possible to mount the flap to the car.
I felt like crying, as it is the last bit to go on before the car's body is complete.

Now, as I see it, I have two choices. Buy a new one from a proper company, but it is actually not cheap as I always buy the quality options. (oh, the irony :roll:)
Or, I'm thinking of drilling the spot welds with a spot weld drill, align the two parts and glue /bond them together! It might work, and I will save the paint and the cost of a new flap. When closing the flap, there is actually a bit of force on those parts. Will the glue be up to it?
What do you think? And do anyone have advice on a proper glue /bonding product?
I'm thinking "Tec7" might work.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

April 5th, 2018, 9:38 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: Ventilation flap
Nothing to loose here I guess, so why not... I think it will hold when you don't close it to much..

If the glue fails you can still weld it..

p.s. you don't have it upside down???

EirikJ wrote:
Hi :)

Got a small but annoying problem. Before I knew better, I bought a ventilation flap from a big German company. Got it painted along with the car, and when I mounted the rubber seal, I discovered that the flap is crap. The two parts of steel that makes the flap, inner part and outer part, was misaligned when spot welded together during production. Because of that, it's not possible to mount the flap to the car.
I felt like crying, as it is the last bit to go on before the car's body is complete.

Now, as I see it, I have two choices. Buy a new one from a proper company, but it is actually not cheap as I always buy the quality options. (oh, the irony :roll:)
Or, I'm thinking of drilling the spot welds with a spot weld drill, align the two parts and glue /bond them together! It might work, and I will save the paint and the cost of a new flap. When closing the flap, there is actually a bit of force on those parts. Will the glue be up to it?
What do you think? And do anyone have advice on a proper glue /bonding product?
I'm thinking "Tec7" might work.

Russ

April 5th, 2018, 9:58 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I think that when you drill out the spot welds, you will damage the paint on the other side unless you are very careful. I never had much luck with spot weld 'drills'. I assume you can't claim from the supplier and get a good one?

April 6th, 2018, 8:03 am
Firing on two.

No, I didn't have it up side down :D
It's fine in one end, and then just goes horribly wrong towards the other end. So much that it's impossible to fit the mounting strip.

I will chance on the glue, and not order a new one.
I have used spot well drills before with good result. So as long as the metal is not thinner than the rest of the car, with some luck I'll manage.

Hope the bonding are strong enough, I don't fancy doing the mounting job twice....

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

April 6th, 2018, 8:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]