View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 1:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Headlamp Wiring 
Firing on two.

Post Headlamp Wiring
So my project car has no headlamp wiring. Just trying to work out what goes where :?:
More specifically where is the earth connection and where does it earth too, and where do I join the sidelight connector to?

Ive bought new connectors:

and sidelight fittings:

This is the original:

and this is what ecas sell:

I get that the left hand connector is the earth?

In theory, will there be 4 connectors that come off the front loom of the car? Dip, Low, Side and Earth? and where do I wore the sidelight in?

March 10th, 2018, 1:56 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: Headlamp Wiring
samfieldhouse wrote:
So my project car has no headlamp wiring. Just trying to work out what goes where :?:
More specifically where is the earth connection and where does it earth too, and where do I join the sidelight connector to?

The earth from the sidelights goes the earth of the headlight, that's why there Is a loose connection at the headlight connector. + from sidelights is a separate wire. Turn the switch 1 turn and pull it towards you, the wire with the current on it
Is the sidelight. When you have that right push the switch away from you must have power on standard beam (and probably sidelights). Then give another turn to the light switch and pull it towards you, this is hihgbeam..
Quote:
Ive bought new connectors:

and sidelight fittings:

This is the original:

and this is what ecas sell:

I get that the left hand connector is the earth?

In theory, will there be 4 connectors that come off the front loom of the car? Dip, Low, Side and Earth? and where do I wore the sidelight in?

Quote:
Quote:

Russ

March 10th, 2018, 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

If I recall, earth is a ring connection and attaches where the light bar bolts to chassis. Though the indicator earths are where the cheek piece attaches to the wing. The side light feed is independent of the headlights and is on the same circuit as the tail light and dash light. If you have the main loom that comes over the engine, there should be a connector for it. If I recall correctly, the indicator wires also go through the light bar tube.

March 10th, 2018, 10:54 am
Firing on two.

The indicator wires are strapped on to the the lightbar with the wide rubber straps. The connectors a wrapped with a small sheet of rubber like a bycyle inner tyre.

March 10th, 2018, 11:43 am
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
If I recall, earth is a ring connection and attaches where the light bar bolts to chassis. Though the indicator earths are where the cheek piece attaches to the wing. The side light feed is independent of the headlights and is on the same circuit as the tail light and dash light. If you have the main loom that comes over the engine, there should be a connector for it. If I recall correctly, the indicator wires also go through the light bar tube.

That's not quite right Roger. On early cars (much earlier than Sam's), the headlight earth wire is riveted to the bottom/inside of the headlamp bowl but on all the later cars, the headlight earth goes through the light bar and joins the main loom. It doesn't earth at the bottom of the light-bar. It was the indicator earth that was attached, via a round connector, to the chassis with one of the bumper-bracket / light-bar bolts. Many people (me included) change that and run an earth up to the top of the wing as you describe, where it is away from the elements. There is no indicator wire going through the light bar but it does connect to the main loom at the same point as the headlamp wiring, (near to the holes in the light bar).

March 10th, 2018, 11:54 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Sam:
I have some second-hand headlamp looms.

March 10th, 2018, 11:57 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Perfect! So the far left connector is the earth, which is where I need to solder something for the sidelight earth - awesome!

Im then left with 4 wires coming off the loom to connect and need to run an extra wire through for the sidelight through the bar. Perfect, thank you everyone :)

March 10th, 2018, 3:08 pm
Firing on two.

This winter I replaced all the connectors on the wiring harness in the engine compartment on my 2CV due to some poor connections (main right beam not working at times). I'm not sure when the car was built but I think it's an 87 model (It's ringer!). So I had to unravel the tape off all of this mess. I found some Easter Eggs! Like some burnt connectors.

I traced the headlight and park light earths back to a ring terminal adjacent to the battery. Look for the black wire and yellow butt connector coming off negative main cable which connects to a small yellow wire. It runs to a stud and overlaps about 2 other ring connectors. One wire provides earth for the left side and the other provides earth for the right side. Well at least that is the way it was on my car.

Attachment:
earth.jpg

I'm assuming when you mean "side lights" you mean the small lights in the headlamps?

The turn signal lights are earthed through the bracket. I can't seem to get a good earth on the passenger side turn signal bulb. I ended up running a second earth to the stud on the alternator bracket. I meant to connect this to the headlight/park light earths when I was replacing these connectors but decided to leave it be for the meantime.

Attachment:
coil.jpg

I also added some fuse-able links for the headlights (main and dipped). I just removed a section of the wire going to each headlight and spliced it in using some barrel connectors. That way if one blows, I just unplug it and use a spare.

I also didn't like having to unravle all that black tape if I needed to inspect something so I added this insulation wrap with Velcro. Not for the purists!

Attachment:
IMG_20180317_143750622_HDR.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

April 3rd, 2018, 7:32 am
Profile WWW

I'm trying to sort out the mess of cables and removed colour sleeves/connectors leading to both the headlamp bulb connectors. The headlamps have been changed in the past and wiring just cut and the new tails to headlamp bulb connectors both o/s and n/s are a medley of different colours and cable gauge. The loom thankfully to both headlamps hasn't been interfered with. So the advice I seek is this:- There are four different cables coming from the loom. One green with yellow sleeve/connector - main beam I assume, one grey with no colour sleeve/connector - dipped beam I assume, two other green cables with no colour sleeve/connector - earths for side and headlamp I assume. Replacing these cable tails to headlamp bulb connector can a heavier gauge cable than the gauge from the loom be used without problems? Or must it be the same size gauge as loom cables.

Now for another problem. Having just had the square/rectangular headlamp shells sprayed, the spray shop has lost or misplaced the two inserts in the bottom of the shell that the two tags on the actual glass headlamp are inserted into. So a total of four inserts are needed. Hopefully the spray shop will find them. If not does anyone have such 4 inserts that could let me have please.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

September 30th, 2018, 3:07 pm

Does anyone have the four female inserts that the headlamp glass male inserts fit, for square/rectangular
headlamp shells?

October 3rd, 2018, 2:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next