View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 10:51 pm

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Still wondering... 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Still wondering...
turbofiat124 wrote:
Maybe I need to disconnect the speedometer cable from the gearbox?

The speedo cable is needed to remove if instrument box is going to be removed. I suggest to remove battery tray and then disconnect spedo cable from speedometer, not from gearbox. It is too often removed from gearbox with the nylon bushing, and then hassled with speedo drive gear, and all that without removing the front wing...

Just battery out, four screws on battery tray and then you can easily see behind the speedo...

About loosing LHM. From that photo, nothing seems to be missing. So the leak is somewhere else. Rear brakes maybe, or master cylinder, and usually when master cylinder leaks the fluid can be find at drivers footwell...

March 19th, 2018, 2:12 pm
Firing on two.

The speedo cable is needed to remove if instrument box is going to be removed. I suggest to remove battery tray and then disconnect spedo cable from speedometer, not from gearbox. It is too often removed from gearbox with the nylon bushing, and then hassled with speedo drive gear, and all that without removing the front wing...

I just want to remove the shroud that goes around the speedometer. Just so I can get to the wiring going to the indicator lights.

After I removed the screws on the side of the shroud, I tried to pull it off but the best I could do was a few inches to the side. Just enough to get my hand behind the speedometer to replace the bulb.

Here is a picture I found of the backside of the speedometer and shroud. from the looks of it, it appears the shroud and speedometer actually come off together. So maybe it is the speedometer cable that needs to be disconnected first.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Citroen-2cv- ... SwAXhZz2gn

Just battery out, four screws on battery tray and then you can easily see behind the speedo...

I've had the battery out of this car but for some reason thought the battery tray was welded to the bulkhead. I didn't recall seeing any fasteners but I'll check it out.

Like I said, it may be the hose going to the washer pump.

About loosing LHM. From that photo, nothing seems to be missing. So the leak is somewhere else. Rear brakes maybe, or master cylinder, and usually when master cylinder leaks the fluid can be find at drivers footwell...[/quote]

I know for a fact that at one time the brake lines going to the front calipers were hand tight. It seems at some point, someone screwed them in but forgot to actually tighten them with a brake line spanner.

I initially though the seals were bad until I took a closer look.

As of right now, it seems there is no more leaks around the calipers but there is allot of fluid all over the reservoir.

Just from the looks of it, it looks like my cap is missing the little rubber button that you press to see the level.

1980s era Fiat brake reservoir cap:

However I believe you are correct. All I see is a straw coming out of the cap:

At any case someone fluid is all over the reservoir. Like it's leaking from the cap itself.

March 19th, 2018, 6:46 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Can you reach up underneath to disconnect the speedo cable?

Does the fiat reservoir cap fit as well as you think it does? Is it over full perhaps?

March 19th, 2018, 11:44 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

That 'straw coming out of the cap' is standard, there has never been a 'rubber button'... ;)

March 20th, 2018, 2:15 pm
Firing on two.

Roger V wrote:
Can you reach up underneath to disconnect the speedo cable?

Does the fiat reservoir cap fit as well as you think it does? Is it over full perhaps?

It screwed onto the reservoir tight and it does in fact fit.

I haven't installed the Fiat cap. I just gave it a test fit. I gave the cap a good cleaning and thought I'd let it dry for a week thoroughly before installing it. I also need to clean up the connectors and the metal ring under the button that completes the circuit for the indicator light whenever the fluid drops.

I thought perhaps the leaking was coming from around the "straw". Maybe whenever I go around a curve or press the brakes. Last time I topped off the reservoir I don't think I overfilled it. If you notice from the photo, the reservoir is at exactly the MAX mark. So perhaps if I did over fill it, any excess fluid has been pushed out from around the "straw".

I think what makes it appear that something is missing from the Citroen cap is because if I pull the rubber button off a Fiat cap, it exposes this same "straw" which attaches to the float and look similar. I'll snap a photo next week.

At least one thing I can use my modified Fiat X 1/9 reservoir cap with my Gunson Easy Bleeder kit if I ever need to bleed the brakes.

March 21st, 2018, 8:04 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Citroen cap had never any rubber button on. And don't be surprised if the Fiat rubber melts, it is made for DOT -fluid, not mineral oil...

March 21st, 2018, 9:31 pm
Firing on two.

jasu wrote:
Citroen cap had never any rubber button on. And don't be surprised if the Fiat rubber melts, it is made for DOT -fluid, not mineral oil...

Good point. I'll leave the original cap on for the meantime. My guess is maybe I overfilled it to begin with.

March 21st, 2018, 10:15 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

ps your wires at the light bar need to be strapped up. Citroen used about 2cm wide rubber straps and a leaf of inner tube like rubber around the connectors.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

March 22nd, 2018, 9:04 am
Firing on two.

AZL57 wrote:
ps your wires at the light bar need to be strapped up. Citroen used about 2cm wide rubber straps and a leaf of inner tube like rubber around the connectors.

Thank you very much for the photo! I did not know there were supposed to be straps on the light bar. I guess I could use some nylon ties in the meantime.

Can anyone provide a photo of what the wiring harness is supposed to look like? Did it have a rubber sheath over it protecting the wires or black tape?

It's too late to turn back now so I am sticking with my fiberglass insulation wrap. I prefer not to wrap wires in the engine compartment with black electrical tape. It took me about 2 hours to unravel that mess from the previous owner.

The only reason I did this on my Trabant was someone got incredibly sloppy with some kind red paint when they repaired the shock towers and lacquer (cellulose?) thinner nor acetone wouldn't phase it. The only way to remove it from some items was to scrap it off with a razor blade or sandpaper.

March 22nd, 2018, 2:52 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

AZL57 wrote:
....... and a leaf of inner tube like rubber around the connectors.

I have a few originals here. They were rectangles cut out of 0.9mm thick black plastic sheet (not rubber), approx 90mm x 75mm. They vary in size by a few millimetres and are not always cut at right-angles, so I assume they were hand-cut in the factory.

March 22nd, 2018, 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next