View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Harley Davidson coil installed and ignition surprise! 
Firing on two.

Post Harley Davidson coil installed and ignition surprise!
So I got the Harley Davidson ignition coil installed. As some had suggested would cure my hot starting problem. Well it was 75F/24C today. Usually the problem occurs above 80F/29C. Not quite hot enough to test it. I did start the car 5 minutes later and it fired right up.

I had to buy some 8mm 20" long coil wires which came as a kit with three size boots and ends to suit the size of the coil. Since the original plug wires were not long enough to reach the plugs since they exit toward the front instead of the sides of the coil. I hope these red plug wires don't look too ricey!

I used some conduit clamps to hold the coil to the light bar. These may look better painted black.

The right hand side spark plug was a bugger to remove. I couldn't get the socket to slide over the plug. It appears that the box that surrounds the cylinder is a bit misaligned. I loosened all the screws except for one. And it still wouldn't move. There was a remaining screw but appeared as though the wing would have to come off before I could get to it. So I just used a pair of pliers and bent the edge of the hole just that surrounds the spark plug just enough to get the socket on there. Anyone ever encounter this?

Now here's the surprise. I was watching 2CV MEHARI how to video on Youtube on how to get to the ignition components. After I pulled the fan off I noticed black, red and yellow wires leading to points box. That's weird, why are there three wires?

I was prepared to install a new set of points/condensor when to my surprise this car already had a 123 electronic ignition!

I just assumed this car still had points. Someone must have tapped into the positive wire and was hidden quite well within the wiring covering.

I'm going to ASSume that whoever installed this system set the timing to 8 degrees. I looked all over this engine for the hole to insert a 6mm rod through to lock the flywheel. I couldn't find it. Where is the hole? Behind the fan?

I'm glad I did not ask my wife to get me one of these for Christmas!

Went on a test drive. I can't tell that the car runs any better but it doesn't run any worse.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

October 2nd, 2017, 1:05 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Harley Davidson coil installed and ignition surprise!
See a lot of plastic tubing that holds the wiring loom. (Or do you have animals around that eat cables? )That is not original, as are the connectors going to the coil. It seems that someone has been tinkering on your wiring.

October 2nd, 2017, 7:56 am
Firing on two.

The timing hole is on the left hand side of the engine, near the upper left clutch bell housing and the upper left engine to gearbox fixing, and the hole into which the 6mm rod locates is in the flywheel.

October 2nd, 2017, 8:26 am
Firing on 1-2 Spark

For normal people like me.. standing in front of the engine (steering at the fan) the hole for setting the points is at the right side approx. 60mm beneath the upper bolt which connects the engine to the gearbox..

Russ

October 2nd, 2017, 12:18 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Attachment:
hole.jpg

The hole is approx 60mm below thehole of the bolt connecting the engine to the gearbox (follow the red line in the picture)..

Attachment:
pin.jpg

here you can see a 6mm drill going through the engine housing into the3 flywheel

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Russ

October 2nd, 2017, 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks guys.. I will check again. I paused the video then kept walking back and fourth to my car.

Then I started wondering if I was looking for the hole on the wrong side of the engine. I see the engine tag in the photo so apparently I was in the right location. I just couldn't find it.

As far as the wiring loom and non original connectors are concerned. I didn't install the loom. The car was that way when I got it. As well as the universal style female connectors going to the original ignition coil.

I'm thinking about pulling all of that loom stuff off and using some black nylon cable ties every few inches to keep the wiring taught because this loom material does look awful.

If done correctly it looks nice but whoever installed it didn't do a good job at it. My Subaru has this same stuff all over the engine compartment from the factory!

Also the connectors that Citroen used on this car seem unique. Or at least unique to me. So I have to use what seems to work.

I crimped some male and ring connectors onto some the extension wires for the Harley Davidson coil. That way if it didn't work I could go back to original.

October 2nd, 2017, 4:19 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I always use this type of tape. Even on newer cars. Looks great when done right.

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

October 2nd, 2017, 7:56 pm
Firing on two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehjltOq-jc

action begins at about 3.30. Looks devilish, don't sneeze.

October 2nd, 2017, 8:27 pm
Firing on two.

rob massey55 wrote:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MehjltOq-jc

action begins at about 3.30. Looks devilish, don't sneeze.

Yeah, I'd hate to get my hand caught in that apparatus!

Years ago I had the dashboard out of my Fiat 124 Spider and noticed a wire with melted insulation. I looked at the wiring diagram but couldn't find this wire in the diagram based on the color. I tested for power but there was none on it. This wire concerned me so I decided to track it down.

So I started unraveling the electrical tape. After about 30 minutes later I finally got to the end of the wire and it was not connected to anything.

It was apparently there from the factory but what it's purpose was I have no idea or what shorted it out to begin with.

I ended up using some nylon cable ties instead of taping them back up.

October 2nd, 2017, 9:56 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]