View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 12:56 am

Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 Hot Start 602cc 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Hot Start 602cc
Roger V wrote:
Not sure I've read the whole topic, but how is the capacitor?
Could you have 2 dodgy coils?
Sorry, just a quick thought whilst I'm cooking tea. :)

My thought too, and I am having coffee ;)

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

August 3rd, 2017, 5:47 pm
Firing on two.

Points, condensor etc tomorrow I think.

August 3rd, 2017, 6:31 pm
Firing on two.

Tea finished :D
You mentioned you checked the valves, but not the points. Is the dwell ok, as to much can help the coil overheat.

Edit
And the spark plug condition and gaps whilst your at it ;)

August 3rd, 2017, 6:35 pm
Firing on two.

Another possible culprit might be the volatility of todays 'petrol'. Compared to the fuel available when these engines were designed, it's a very distant cousin refined for todays (largely) fuel-injected engines, isn't it?

Mine has a hissy fit as described above occasionally and when it does I just keep the accelerator planted on the floor and turn it over till it starts......eventually. Otherwise it runs ok. Feature of the model, sir.

Last edited by Chris2cv on August 4th, 2017, 10:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 3rd, 2017, 8:57 pm
Firing on two.

On my two carbureted car, both have hot start issues. Especially when the engine is stopped for about half hour, then they both need a long starting, but only if I forget to wait the electric fuel pump is pumping long enough to fill carbs...

The other has V6 engine with three Webers, and another has V8 with two Zenith-Strombergs. Both suffered same issues with points ignition, and also with electronic ignition now...

So, I assume the issue is boiling fuel, because both behaves like same. Without waiting to the sound of pump "get relaxed", those doesn't even try to start, but when there is surely enough fuel on carbs, they start quite well...

And, no hot start issues on my both Dyanes, but those are fuel injected samples...

Same thoughts about modern fuel, it isn't even near that fuel when 2CV is designed...

August 3rd, 2017, 9:30 pm
Firing on two.

Jasu
I would be interested to know more about your fuel injection as I am thinking of going down this route. :)

August 3rd, 2017, 10:16 pm
Firing on two.

Roger. I have plenty of photos in photobucket, but they can be seen sometimes. Tried to download whole album, couldn't done yet...

Shortly..:

-74 Dyane: Megasquirt ECU, BX throttle body (little too large), injectors and sensors also from BX as fuel pump. New fuel pipes (8mm and 10mm) to fuel tank, Innovate LC-2 wideband O2 sensor with gauge (ok, two, one for each cylinder. Plenty of tuning when started learning with that

-69 Dyane: Megasquirt II, Xantia throttle boby, Audi 1.8T injectors, some Bosch sensors, Innovate LC-2 O2 sensor, Aisin AMR300 (the reason for so large injectors). Much easier tuning session, because of near ten year learning about

Also, on my -71 Sm, Megasquirt II is controlling only ignition, three wasted spark unit from Opel (Vauxhall at UK) Omega V6. Run better than ever with distributor. Could idle under 300 RPM only after changed the ignition, three DFNC Webers still feeding the engine. Hard to believe the difference what moving fron distributor ignition to MS controlled made...

August 4th, 2017, 12:02 pm
Firing on two.

Today, new points and a change of capacitor. Timed the engine marking TDC etc with a 6mm pin thro the case and locked flywheel, etc etc. It now misses like nobody's business. Changed the capacitor back - still misses. Now about to put the original points back after smoothing off a small pip on the points, but its hot again and time for tea.

August 4th, 2017, 3:06 pm
Firing on two.

Hmm - Fitted Original points (Cleaned up) and original condenser - runs fine, so see if I can find a New (unused) condenser tomorrow. Tried the Citroen garage, but out of stock! At least the fan comes off easily now.

August 4th, 2017, 4:34 pm
Firing on two.

As has been mentioned on the forum by Ken in the past, the capacitor can be mounted near the coil and then changed more easily in the future.

I put new points in and did not have the spring seated properly. It gave the same symptoms as you describe. :)

August 4th, 2017, 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next