View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 29th, 2024, 12:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Tracking 
Firing on two.

Post Tracking
My old AZU van is wearing the tyres on the front on the inside edges. Michelin X 125s for the record.

It's just been for its Controle Technique (= MoT), and they print out the figures for the toe out/in. It shows on the paper as "Direction: ripage essieu avant: +1.3m/km". That translates as "Steering - front axle slippage: 1.3 metres for a km of travel".

I recall that a 2CV has toe-out rather than toe-in, but I'm fairly sure it's usually measured at the wheel rim in mm (or fractions) rather than in metres per kilometre. And indeed the book of lies (Haynes) says it's toe-out of 0 to 3mm at the wheel rims.

Can anyone help convert one to the other? Is that setting about right? Or too much?

The local garage man (who has a 2CV himself) said that it might just be the very winding roads around here - I tell friends that we live a half hour's drive from the nearest traffic lights, and that's all hills. The van is only used locally. The advice from the garagiste was to reduce (or was it increase?) the tyre pressures a bit. But the front tyres on a 2CV are already fairly low pressure - 1.4 bar.

Suggestions as always very welcome.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

July 19th, 2017, 1:06 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Tracking
see here http://www.snail.s4.bizhat.com/snail-ntopic1814.html

July 19th, 2017, 1:33 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Dennis,
I'd reckon that their 'scuff gauge' needs recalibrating, since wear on the inside edge of tyres invariably points to too much toe out, always assuming that the camber is within tolerance.
Easy enough to check the alignment yourself, of course...

ImageTracking by slcchassis, on Flickr

July 19th, 2017, 3:52 pm
Firing on two.

"Steering - front axle slippage: 1.3 metres for a km of travel".
So having driven 1km, how are we supposed to calculate the sideways movement of the front wheels?
That has to be the daftest parameter for toe in/out I've heard for a while.
Toe out or in can be measured in degrees, but you'd need laser equipment to accurately measure that. So much simpler to use string - provided the rear track is the same as the front. Certainly wouldn't work on a DS, SM, or even an Ami?

I had a tyre depot check and adjust the GS tracking once. First, they set the steering wheel with the single spoke at 6 o'clock, and looked at me askance when I told them it should be at around 8 o'clock for straight ahead (as per the book). Then proceeded to measure the toe-in of 1 - 3mm from the centre line of the car for each side. That threw me, as I believe that would make a total of 2 - 6mm toe-in if measured from wheel rim to wheel rim. I'm sure they got that wrong. It drives OK, but I'm suspicious.

July 19th, 2017, 6:53 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks one and all (especially, as usual, Ken). It'd be helpful to have confirmation that the right toe-out is up to 3mm on each side. That is a total of up to 6mm difference if you were actually able to measure across the car from one side to the other.

Have other people been hit by this confounded Photobucket terms of service change for what they call 3rd Party Hosting? If you look, they now want $400 for you to hotlink from Photobucket to sites like this.

I'm looking for alternatives, but in the meantime all my pictures have been replaced by a bit of internet blackmail.

Think of them as photoBUCKet .....

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

July 20th, 2017, 8:44 am
Firing on two.

Try Flickr .
They are reliable ( until now ).
I used Photobucket before, but for some reason some of my photo's disappeared , or I got photo's from somebody else in my account .
I got that hint from Citroenazu from this forum , and i am using it sinds , never had any problems ( so far ......)

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

Last edited by Geert on July 20th, 2017, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

July 20th, 2017, 9:24 am
Firing on two.

Re: Photobucket, A comprehensive view:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 13&t=58069

Re: Toe-in/out for a 2cv, the Haynes states 0 - 3mm; the Autobook 789 states 1 - 3mm. This is measured between the wheel rims - not the tyres.

Having searched 22 different websites referring to toe adjustments, only one refers to total toe, and half toe.
http://www.nussbaum-group.de/english/bu ... nment.html

None of the manuals I have refer to half toe. I suspect therefore, that the manuals refer to the total toe i.e. up to 3mm at the wheel rim - between wheel rims, but it is not defined.
NOTE: The further away from the wheel axis (such as measuring from the outer circumference, or the sidewalls using string) will give a false reading. HOWEVER, how much difference that will make compared to a measurement taken at the wheel rim is open to being fairly insignificant in respect of 2cv wheels and tyres. ETA: When using string it is perfectly possible to measure between the string and the wheel rim thereby obtaining the necessary measurements, which will negate any difference.

There's an interesting post on the MG forum written by an ex Michelin engineer, though once again, he measures from the tyres circumference, and being further away from the wheels axis, will show a different reading to that at the wheel rim. The larger the tyre - the greater the variance. But his overall method appears sound.
http://www.mg-cars.net/mgb-technical-bb ... 613406.htm

I had a toe-in of 5mm (total) on our Dyane, and wore down the outside edge of the tyre to the metal casing in 3,000 miles. I never previously checked it as it steered OK, so measuring is a definite must do from time to time.

July 20th, 2017, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]