View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 2:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Why is my car so slow? 
Firing on two.

Post Why is my car so slow?
Hello tech folk,

Having got my Ami6 up and running (thanks to Harry for his help!) it's become obvious something isn't quite right, I know it's heavier than the 2cv the engine came from, and that it's got a heavy flywheel, but it's slow, really slow. It starts on the first touch of the starter. I'm wondering after reading a few bits of advice here whther the advance weights aren't functioning properly? ususlly I'd have thought with a car that's so sluggish I'd just advance the timing a bit, but I can't do that as it's already pinking when under load, so I can't advance it further. When I say slow, I mean it takes an age to get upto speed, and flat out on the level it's hitting about 63mph max. In comparison, on the same satnav my Bamboo has hit 75 on the level no problems. Hills absolutely kill it, and today I've been down to 38mph up some hills in third, where I'd usually slog up at about 50 in 4th.

I need a pretty quick solution to this as we leave for Czech in under a week, any ideas?

Thanking you in advance...

July 18th, 2009, 9:03 pm
Firing on two.

Post Why is my car so slow?
Carb to me. My blue one is a snail. Red one running at about (4%ish) on the emissions mot test. Did 80 (ish) today flipping going like shit. Could be a naf carb or should i say worn or mixture. Other than that i dont know. Goes up hills in 3rd and some 4th but can struggle like all.

...Betsy...............Ellie...............Molly

July 18th, 2009, 9:10 pm
Profile YIM
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Why is my car so slow?
Russell,
any detailed info available on the engine, carb and jetting, induction system and which setting you've got for full ignition advance?
Because of their heavier weight, Amis will be slower off the mark, but once it's wound up, there shouldn't be that much slack...

ken.

Russell wrote:
Hello tech folk,

Having got my Ami6 up and running (thanks to Harry for his help!) it's become obvious something isn't quite right, I know it's heavier than the 2cv the engine came from, and that it's got a heavy flywheel, but it's slow, really slow. It starts on the first touch of the starter. I'm wondering after reading a few bits of advice here whther the advance weights aren't functioning properly? ususlly I'd have thought with a car that's so sluggish I'd just advance the timing a bit, but I can't do that as it's already pinking when under load, so I can't advance it further. When I say slow, I mean it takes an age to get upto speed, and flat out on the level it's hitting about 63mph max. In comparison, on the same satnav my Bamboo has hit 75 on the level no problems. Hills absolutely kill it, and today I've been down to 38mph up some hills in third, where I'd usually slog up at about 50 in 4th.

I need a pretty quick solution to this as we leave for Czech in under a week, any ideas?

Thanking you in advance...

July 18th, 2009, 9:26 pm
viking bastard

Hi Russ
Did you upgrade engine and gear box lately? What gear box are you running and engine?
Compression test?
Advance weights, you said pinging? Back to basics Russ. Valve at 0.20 mm. timing 8 TDC static. Points 0.40mm
Are your carburetor double or single bore?
Fuel pump and carburetor testing. Air filter and manifold, inlet side (false air)
Fuel tank blocked (vacuum) remove petrol cap.

Just a few..!!

Happy working

July 18th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Profile WWW
Old Bloke

If the engine you took out was the original 1968 Ami 6 engine then it originally had a 9:1 engine producing max 35bhp. If you have put a 2CV engine in at 8.5:1 you will have droped a couple of BHP. Coupled with the extra weight you will notice a diference even if everything is tip top on the engine.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

July 18th, 2009, 9:33 pm
super slot

y0 Russell, was the engine you took out an M4?

July 18th, 2009, 9:39 pm
Profile WWW

Where's he gone?

Need more input... ;)

July 18th, 2009, 9:50 pm
Firing on two.

I should clarify:

engine is 8.5:1 602, has been fitted a while and previous performance was fine. Suffered partial seizure and has since had a different set of 8.5:1 pistons and barrels fitted. The drop off in performance has been since this engine has been fitted, as I've said it was fine beforehand.

Valve clearances and plug gaps set to haynes spec, and timing set to the peg (that's 8btdc innit?)

I can't specify the carb jet sizes, how/where would I find out what they are?

July 18th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Russell,
hope you've got a strobe, after I've spent half an hour trying to upload a bl##ming pdf to Flickr... :)

< http://www.flickr.com/photos/30132857@N ... 5/sizes/o/ >

As regards the jetting, if it's a standard late model 2CV carb, with original jetting, it will be too lean if you've got the Ami/Dyane blower hooked up.

If so, there'll be a replacement primary petrol jet in the post to you as soon as you can send me your address...

Valve clearances to 0.25 exhaust, 0.2 inlet and also hope you've got some B8HS plugs to hand.

ken.

July 18th, 2009, 10:43 pm
Firing on two.

Ken,

It's got a twin choke from a 2cv engine, but the blower isn't hooked up, it's breathing through an Ami8 filter, would cleaning the air filter (which is a bit grubby now I think about it) be likely to solve it? I can't recall which plugs it's got but I'll order some of those you've suggested.

I'll pm you my adress, what will I owe you?

July 18th, 2009, 10:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next