View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently March 28th, 2024, 11:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Stupid reasons to fail MOT 
Firing on two.

Post Stupid reasons to fail MOT
Last year the 2CV I keep in the UK failed its MOT for the following reasons:

Exhaust emissions hydrocarbon content excessive (7.3.B.1b)
Battery insecure (1.9.1)
Windscreen has a sticker or other obstruction encroaching by more than 10mm within zone A (wipers park across zone A) (8.3.1b).

I think for the first fail they had decided to test the emissions with the choke pulled out. The normal result (eg this year) is well below the limit: the tester last year found nearly 1400ppm: this year it was 721ppm.

As for the battery, I told it that it was doing a very good job and it felt a lot more self-confident. Well maybe the nuts on top of the springs for the retaining bar were a little loose: but you can do them up with your fingers (and I did).

The windscreen wipers were exactly as the (RHD) car had left the factory. They were parked where they were meant to be parked....

The MOT manual says this:

I am sure that where the wipers park is "an original vehicle design characteristic".

I didn't go back there this year.

Has anyone else had a really unhelpful tester?

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

May 20th, 2017, 5:34 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Stupid reasons to fail MOT
I took my old Dyane to the same tester for years and then a young guy was employed and he was testing the car and things were going fine until the lights position test and he had pulled the covers off and started to adjust them and on he went until the original tester was telling him he was testing it on FULL beam!!!! but it still was noted on the certificate that they need to adjust them!

May 20th, 2017, 6:36 pm
Firing on two.

I had a tester who said the left light was to high so i turned the knob inside and then he went to the other side an i had to adjust that a little too with the knob...He thought it was a very clever system but he did not notice both lamps were moving together ;-)

May 20th, 2017, 7:45 pm
Firing on two.

Slightly different way but on topic - Guy had an old H van with original lights with all the silver gone from the lenses - so the tester was thinking of failing it but he asked the guy if he used the van at night so he said NO so the tester said OK and passed it!!

May 20th, 2017, 9:27 pm
Firing on two.

I had a Dyane fail on a "worn wheel bearing".
The noise disappeared after I tightened the hub-cap bolt.
I found another MOT station after that. :roll:

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

May 29th, 2017, 12:19 am
Firing on two.

Intelligent/sympathetic testers are definitely needed for these cars. The place I've always used used to be a Citroen garage and did lots of 2cv's. They are strict actually, but well aware of the usual issues. They tell me that testers have lots of discretion, so I suppose its just how its used thats the problem.

My place is strict because they get inspected by undercover customers from the DSA or whatever its called - with cars that have faults, to see if they pick up on it.

For what its worth, mine never failed on the wipers parking on the wrong side. I did change it anyway though. They have failed it on loose indicator switch etc before, which is only mildly annoying.

May 29th, 2017, 12:49 pm
Firing on two.

I think one of the reasons for exempting pre-1960* cars from the MOT test is down to lack of understanding of old technology. I know 2CVs have failed the MOT on non-functioning handbrakes with the tester checking the rear brakes. :roll:

*Yes, I know the main reason is to reduce the number of cars needing to be tested to free up more time for testing airbags and emissions on modern cars. :lol:

May 29th, 2017, 8:04 pm
Firing on two.

1988 car, wipers still parking on "wrong" side ....never failed an MOT yet ....[although I have had "advisories"] ...usually on the handbrake, a couple of times on tyres, and once for having a "normal" headlamp bulb in one h/lamp, and a "halogen" in the other one....[one bulb failed, just before the test] :? :roll:
And now I've said that, watch it fail this year :roll: :o :oops: :D
T. ;)

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

May 30th, 2017, 1:06 am
Firing on two.

I have had disagreements over number plates that have had a little water ingress causing some parts of one digit to appear slightly less than crystal clear, easily read from a distance, and my camera had no problem showing the full number. But they were adamant - new plate. Same garage showed me two perfect slashes on an inside wall of one rear tyre, which were not there when I took it in. New tyre.

Another dark side of MOT's; Years ago I bought a second hand Guzzi that had received a new ticket. The exhaust was blowing steadily from the exhaust port where the header fitted; and the rear bevel box (shaft drive) was leaking gear oil, soaking the rear pads and disc. Either item should have failed.

Later, I bought a C15D van with a fresh ticket. Only one of the four brakes worked at anything like full efficiency. Not a pleasant experience.

May 30th, 2017, 9:15 am
Firing on two.

Just to say there some sensible MOT inspectors.

Expecting the Shedouin to need work, I booked it in a month prior to its renewal date.

Watching though the 'inspection window' it looked like he was writing a novel!

He struggled with the IT to print and had to get the owner to help.

Then he said, ' I'm going to pass it, but really you need a kingpin. I have to be more lenient with these older vehicles. Its not as if your going to be doing eighty on the motorway'

This guy is about 65 years young. :D

May 30th, 2017, 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]