View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Carburettor Problems? 
Firing on two.

Post Carburettor Problems?
Esteemed 2cv'ers. My little champion suddenly developed some slightly odd running just recently and some puffs of smoke.

It's been a bit hesitant especially when cold, and various flat spots getting worse even when warmed up.
Cold starting has been fine but now includes clouds of fairly light coloured smoke, and it's not happy until it's warmed up.

At full throttle it's fine - hills and motorways no problems.
But I'm noticing smoke when revving.

I had a quick look and the carb top gasket was leaking petrol. The screws weren't tight either. Tightened them and it helped but it still leaked a bit and has increased so I've ordered that gasket. Quite a lot of fuel is evident after today's motorway trip.

Is all this just down to that gasket? I can believe that, apart from the smoke is confusing me.

I suppose the smoke could be something else and I'm only noticing now, or is a coincidence. Clouds of it this morning.

The car still starts well in the cold but it's reluctant to stay running and the idle is uneven.

Here's a pic. Fuel is coming from the side you see, UK nearside. The inlet hose is fine and fairly new.

Attachment:
IMAG0808_1.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

March 1st, 2017, 6:59 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Carburettor Problems?
I.m.h.o. It is the gasket at the bottom of the carb that is leaking air into the manifold .

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

March 1st, 2017, 9:28 pm
Firing on two.

Thank you Geert.

That would explain it. The gasket/block at the bottom is replaced about a year ago and seems tight although I couldn't check that properly earlier.

There is petrol all over the top of the carb and running down, the top gasket is definitely faulty.

March 1st, 2017, 11:59 pm
Firing on two.

Did you check the level of the float ?

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

March 2nd, 2017, 8:58 am
Firing on two.

No but I feel that is in my near future... Unfortunately what I know about carbs is almost non-existent. When the new gasket comes I will have to have a look.

March 2nd, 2017, 9:38 am
Firing on two.

I rang the guy who used to fix it for the Citroën garage but he's too busy now he's retired. Boooo.

I'll wait for the gasket and then try and not cock it up. Gordon mentioned making sure the float hasn't become porous and the level was right. Also that the jet was screwed in properly.

It actually ran a bit better today but it's bogging on corners and petrol is coming out enough to drip all down & get in the clutch and make it judder.
Just started a new job so I'm reliant on it, at least it's still working.

March 3rd, 2017, 12:00 am
Firing on two.

I have vernier calliper for setting float levels- you're welcome to come over if you like. I'm in bagshot at the junction of the a30 and a322.

March 4th, 2017, 7:49 pm
Firing on two.

Oh thats so cool, great offer. If I bring it over sometime would you be able to show me some carb basics?

March 4th, 2017, 7:54 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Carburettor Problems
Erm!

I suppose so.

Well,yes, but I'm not an expert like some. I can set float levels and have changed the primary jet for the ecas 107 recently. At this time of year the weekend is best for light. Send me a PM. :-)

I'll see if I can get Johnjordan along too. I owe him a drink.

March 4th, 2017, 10:26 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Carburettor Problems
richardmorris wrote:
Erm!

I suppose so.

Well,yes, but I'm not an expert like some. I can set float levels and have changed the primary jet for the ecas 107 recently. At this time of year the weekend is best for light. Send me a PM. :-)

I'll see if I can get Johnjordan along too. I owe him a drink.

A bit difficult Richard. I now live in Kingswood, Bristol with Rachel. Only come to Woking infrequently. The drink may have to wait until the National if you are attending :)

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

March 5th, 2017, 12:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next