View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 Carburettor Problems? 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Carburettor Problems?
AZL57 wrote:
Has a bit the looks of a Dalat but what is it?

The photo title gives it away. A Bedouin.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

March 14th, 2017, 10:09 am
Firing on two.

Lol
Well I guess that shows I haven't insulated the roof yet. ;)

March 14th, 2017, 12:21 pm
Firing on two.

It drove well today but the idle was going weird after it warmed up. It also seemed to still have a slight hesitation on part throttle.
So I spent a few minutes trying to set that right with the mixture screw, it kept going too low and ended up with the idle speed adjustment screw (not the mixture one) all the way in to get the idle high enough, which is odd.

I needed to back out the actual idle mixture screw a lot to get the engine to stay idling at the same speed as it seemed to be cycling up and down, although fairly calmly - on its lower rev cycle though it was too low.

Its much better now, backing out the mixture screw enough seemed to get the engine at a more even idle and it raised the engine speed plenty too so I was able to adjust the stop screw to a more normal place.

Brilliant drive to work, no hesitation that I noticed and i was charging around the roundabouts with the tyres squealing again. Yay.
The idle did go lower a couple of times, I'll see how it goes. Maybe I need to fanny with the setting some more.

Is that idle mixture screw absolutely only for idling mixture?
I only ask because once before the car started to use noticeably more fuel on my Devon trip. It couldn't make it there on a full tank any more, and the previous 19 years it had always got there with a bit to spare.
My friendly mechanic adjusted that screw with me there and said it had been running too lean. It drove better after that and fuel consumption was back to normal. (We guessed it had been having to try too hard with the lean mixture and ended up using more fuel overall.)

March 14th, 2017, 8:28 pm
Firing on two.

What are you generally getting out of a tank? I usually try for 200 before filling up ( usually this will be ]=
22 litres).

March 14th, 2017, 11:47 pm
Firing on two.

Yeah mines always been about the same as that. My most common drive is 201 miles according to maps, and I'll have a little left but not very much.

March 14th, 2017, 11:54 pm
Firing on two.

How is the air filter looking?

March 15th, 2017, 7:18 pm
Firing on two.

The air filter is good, I replace them often. Air filters, oil filters, oil & plugs, even when I've been desperately poor I've always done those.

The idle kept dropping today in Windsor after a blast down the M4. I read up on idle mixture adjustment last night & figured I needed to refine it a little. Did that earlier when I finished work, seems good now but another blast will tell for sure.

Also backed off the little screw for the butterfly as recommended by Ken in various places on the internet.

It did run great today apart from the idle dropping a little when hot.
Although I saw smoke while idling - just the once. It didn't smoke starting this morning, only saw it around 5pm after blasting home & then idling, and then while accelerating in 1st it was puffy until I changed gear.

I suppose it's possible it needs valve stem seals really. Another job to learn. (Is it easy..?)

March 15th, 2017, 9:09 pm
Firing on two.

It is easy, but don't expect me to explain how to .
For me the book : "How to restore 2Cv"was very helpfull, but I expect it is also possible to find an explenation on the internet.
Super the car is running better now !
My car did not run properly at first too, but I managed to find the carburettor problem, now it is running sweet.

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

Last edited by Geert on March 16th, 2017, 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

March 15th, 2017, 10:15 pm
Firing on two.

Ha .... really screwed mine up up. Down on power. Possible only one cylinder.
Will look again tomorrow. :D

March 15th, 2017, 11:42 pm
Firing on two.

I took out the idle mixture screw to check for dirt, and even though I tried really hard, it was difficult to get lined up to go back in and I lost the spring.
Set the mixture anyway until I ordered a new spring and it drove great. But after a motorway blast I arrived in Windsor with no idle. Lol. Not surprising really, it had gone out of adjustment I guess.

New spring and screw from ecas fitted, but found the new screw just wouldn't go in right, it threaded in fine but wouldn't allow an idle. So I just refitted my old screw and used the new spring. Set it up and it's good as gold again.

March 27th, 2017, 11:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6