View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 11:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Dome light repair 
Firing on two.

Post Dome light repair
So a few months ago the lever on the dome light broke when trying to turn it off. I thought I lost the lever and was gone for good (could not find it anywhere in the car), then I was going through my coat and found it! Apparently when it fell off it went straight into my coat pocket.

So the piece had been sitting in my locker for a few months and could not remember to take it home. So the other day I put it in a small bottle and stuck it in my shoe so I'd remember it.

Initially I thought about using a 2 part plastic epoxy or super glue. Well you know how well that crap holds up.

So I wanted to see if I could "weld" plastic using a soldering iron. It worked!

Looks "repaired" but with the lens cover installed, I can't see the repair. So I guess that's all that matters.

I think the reason it broke to begin with was the lever needed some lubrication and was putting to much stress on the end. So I sprayed some WD-40 on the pivot point and it moves easier now.

At first I could not figure out how to remove the light. But it didn't take me long to figure out it just slides out of the track.

So I go to put the light back in and it works but I have to find a sweet spot to get a good earth.

There appears to be a threaded hole (upper right hand corner) of the bracket. Is there supposed to be a screw or bolt that goes through this hole to make earth against the chassis?

I'm just wondering when the PO had new felt pieces installed, they covered up the hole.

I thought about just probing around using an awl to see if I could find it. I guess I could pull the felt piece off to see where the original location of the light is supposed to go.

January 29th, 2017, 4:46 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dome light repair
There is just a parker screwed in the ply of the body that makes earth. Nothing fancy.

January 29th, 2017, 9:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]