View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Rear silencers mounting 
Firing on two.

Post Rear silencers mounting
Once again, this sounds trivial but I'm board and like I said I know of no other 2CVs within miles of me so I'm depending upon you guys to tell me what is correct and what is not.

It seems the rear silencer does most of the "silencing". When that clamp fell off, the car was quite loud.

Once I installed a new front silenser and got all the exhaust leaks stops, now I hear what sounds like a train horn in the distance when I decelerate.

If I shake the the rear silencer, it sounds like rocks inside it so I'm guessing the baffle is breaking up.

Anyway I ordered a new one. I went to two autopart stores today looking for other various bits and thought I'd look for some couplers while I was at it thinking I might be able to cut the old muffler off with a reciprocating saw and install two couplers because the pipes are really rusted together.

Well the muffler pipes measures 1 3/8" OD but all I could find was 1 1/2" to 1 3/8" reducers. So it might be worth the money to have a muffler shop install it.

I noticed on this Walker muffler, it has what appears to be a threaded hole for a mount:

Is this supposed to bolt to the floorboard or a hanger?

Here is the current silenser:

Are these rubber hangers factory or something a muffler shop installed?

The main reason is there seems to be allot of flexing in the exhaust system underneath the car caused by these hangers and wonder if that contributed to the clamp falling off.

The muffler shop I deal with does great work so I'm sure they can figure out the best way to stabilize it.

One more thing. The new muffler has a rectangular "dent" in it. It does not look like it was damaged in shipment. What's that all about?

December 11th, 2016, 4:23 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Rear silencers mounting
The layout of your exhaust is standard, but it looks like the mounting rubbers are a bit too flexible and are not fitted with the correct clips.

I would recommend buying the correct mounting kit like this one from ECAS in the UK.

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/exhaust-f ... p-639.html

or get just the individual parts you need. They are all available.

The 'dent' is normal.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

December 11th, 2016, 11:03 am
Firing on two.

The rectangular dent is to give additional clearance under the rear "outrigger" that is welded to the underside of the floor.
The rubber hangers in your photo are correct. However, it looks as if on your car someone has bent the silencer's brackets around the hangers. The brackets should not be bent around the hangers. They should each have a small rectangular plate (number 7 in the Ecas photo), which locates in a small slot and is then held to the bracket by an M5 screw into the threaded hole that you've mentioned. It has the same arrangement at each end of the silencer, so you will need two of number 7, which are available seperately from Ecas, here:
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/metal-str ... -1190.html

December 11th, 2016, 12:30 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

The brackets you have on rear rubber, are front ones. They are little different at front and rear, but from the last photo it looks like front mountings are gone to rear, and now at front is some self-made ones...

Parts books show them all, some of sellers has also good photos about...

December 11th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks guys. I'll probably end up having a new galvanized pipe made up to go after the silencer by the muffler shop since it looks groaty looking. The front one I can probably sand it down and paint it.

I like to do things myself but sometimes it pays to pay someone else to do it for you. Especially when you don't have 6 foot piece of 1 3/8" exhaust pipe laying around!

Although I doubt I would have paid someone to install the front silencer. I think it took me about 3 hours to get everything aligned properly.

I see the rectangular dent in the silencer that is on the car. But I think the silencer is rotated incorrectly and is serving no purpose.

December 11th, 2016, 12:47 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Here some pictures of the exhaustpipe-fixings on my 2CV AZU .They might be different from an 2CV Berline .
Might come in handy in future.
ImageDSCF0759 by geert1953, on Flickr
ImageDSCF0758 by geert1953, on Flickr
ImageDSCF0757 by geert1953, on Flickr

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

December 11th, 2016, 1:13 pm
Firing on two.

The difference between a van and a berline is that, along with the short tailpipe, the van has a different bracket above the rear of the two silencer hangers that reduces sideways movement. Your first photo shows this bracket Geert (but it looks as though it has been bent away from the rubber hanger, so isn't doing its job).

December 11th, 2016, 4:17 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I did bent it away, it made an awfull noise when the engine was cold, the exhaust vibrated against the bracket .
now it does not .

Ez a türelem kérdése.........

December 12th, 2016, 9:04 pm
Firing on two.

Geert wrote:
I did bent it away, it made an awfull noise when the engine was cold, the exhaust vibrated against the bracket .
now it does not .

Only the rubber should contact the bracket. Not the exhaust itself. Without the bracket restricting the sideways movement, there is more strain on the swan-neck pipe and the outlet from the cross-box, which will lead to fracturing. (Cars with a long tailpipe don't need the bracket because the long tailpipe's two hangers restrict sideways movement).

December 13th, 2016, 2:56 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]