View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2024, 8:34 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Burton's dump tubes 
Firing on two.

Post Burton's dump tubes
I've been installing some of my goodies I got from Burton's today. One of the items was their rubber dump tubes. Or heat escape tubes, whatever you what ever you wish to call them.

The driver's side (LHD) side was a no brainer but passenger side gave me quite a fit. The tubes fit great but for some reason the arm that moves the flapper wanted to rub the corrugated portion and was putting the arm in a bind.

After about 2 hours, I eventually had to resort to removing the clip and bending the arm up a bit. I also sprayed some WD-40 into the cable sleeve to see if that would help.

I checked to make sure both flappers where either fully closed or fully open and I think I finally got it.

I'm not sure what the deal was. I took me forever to get all of these exhaust pieces aligned when I installed the front silencer.

December 7th, 2016, 2:51 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Burton's dump tubes
I have them also but the garage that sold them to me said it were Mehari tubes. And yes they are more solid.

December 7th, 2016, 7:25 pm
Firing on two.

I bought some at the st dizier meeting as my cardboard ones needed replacing. A bit of a pain to fit, but no worse than the standard tubes really. I did make a hole in each to thread the side repeater wire through.

December 7th, 2016, 10:10 pm
Firing on two.

I used these on my 2CV, removed from a Visa 2 cylinder back in the old days. That's where Burton and De Graaf stole their idea from.
I hope they used better rubber for this than for their other parts, otherwise it will only last a short while

December 8th, 2016, 12:01 am
Firing on two.

Personally I like the original cardboard type. Cheap, works perfect, lasts for years, fits easily and stay in place.
Just saying, in case someone are considering which to buy ;)

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

December 8th, 2016, 8:27 am
Firing on two.

EirikJ wrote:
Personally I like the original cardboard type. Cheap, works perfect, lasts for years, fits easily and stay in place.
Just saying, in case someone are considering which to buy ;)

I agree and it's easier to remove and replace wings.

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a d'olly.

December 8th, 2016, 10:04 am
Firing on two.

Use aluminium ducting - cheap as chips and dead easy to replace and doesn't get wet and disintegrate.......

1966 Ami Break

December 8th, 2016, 11:53 am
Firing on two.

I was cleaning my engine compartment awhile back using my 1500 PSI pressure washer and didn't think to remove them before hand and destroyed them!

When I first inspected this car before buying it, I had not opened the bonnet.

I saw those cardboard tubes sticking through the wheel wells and thought to myself, "What the hell is that? Is that something somebody improvised?" Initially I did not think about them being heat escape tubes. I thought they were to cool the brakes (did not know the car had inboard brakes).

Actually I think the rubber ones look better to be honest. I'm thinking the passenger side heat exchanger could have gotten misaligned a bit when I installed my silencer. I had to hand tighten the bolts on all five saddle clamps in order to get the silencer hangers to line up with the bolts on the gearbox then give them a final tightening.

December 8th, 2016, 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

It's a fine art to get an exhaust lined up properly - resulting in many frustrated minutes of loosening joints and adjusting heat exchangers - they rarely go back as the designer intended!

1966 Ami Break

December 8th, 2016, 10:51 pm
Firing on two.

Have had these fitted since September now, and not had any problems with them. I've even had the wings off the car to fit new exhaust and inlet manifold gaskets, and the tubes refitted easily once the wings were back in place. I left them fitted to the wings and just pulled them off the heat exchangers. Once the wings were back on the car it was just a case of pushing the tubes back over the heat exchangers. Nice n easy. Well worth the extra cost.

December 24th, 2016, 12:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]