View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 18th, 2024, 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Light issues for the dim (pun intended) 
2CV Fan

Post Light issues for the dim (pun intended)
Its been a while since I have needed to post on here (thankfully) and since then my car has had a lot of work done (driver side post, new inner wing and boot floor) and is working great!

I have not had to use the lights in my little car for quite some time, at least 4 years, until today it is rather foggy. Aside from completely forgetting how to turn the lights on, I seem to be having a few issues. Firstly I have checked the offending bulb and tried a replacement (and swapping the bulbs over), checked all visible joints/connections etc and can see noting amiss.

The issue I am having is as such

- Stick turned to V, pulled towards = left and right sidelights
- Stick turned to V, pushed = left and right sidelights, right main bulb
- Stick turned to R, pulled towards = left and right sidelights, left and right main bulb
- Stick turned to R, pushed = left and right sidelights, left and right main bulb

I will be honest and say that I could never tell the difference between dipped and full beam except for the full beam dash light being on. At no point has the main beam light illuminated when testing the lights today.

All rear lights and the indicators are working as they should, including when being used as emergency flashers.

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what may be wrong? Or am I just being rather dim?!

December 6th, 2016, 3:50 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Light issues for the dim (pun intended)
are your connectors put together the right way, color on color. There are 2 sets of connectors near the bar that supports your headlamps. If that is all ok you have to check the connector on the bulbs the selves. Sometimes the connector blocks are taken apart to paint or change the lamphousings. If they are put toghether te wrond way some parts of your lamps will work and others not.

December 6th, 2016, 6:07 pm
Firing on two.

I'd check the contacts on the switch itself as well as the connectors to each bulb and the bullet connectors on the headlamp bar.

December 6th, 2016, 9:31 pm
Firing on two.

Especially check your earth leads and connections on the headlights as this is a classic area for poor bulb illumination

1966 Ami Break

December 6th, 2016, 11:44 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Do you have a multimeter?
More to the point, do you know how to use one? ;)

If so, the fault does not seem to be with the switch, since both switch positions 'V-pushed' and 'R-pushed' should be (and are?) sending power into the loom, attempting to illuminate all of your sidelights plus both dipped beams.

With the switch in both of those settings, you need to check for 12v arriving at the bullet connections to the nearside headlamp's dipped beam.

From memory, the four bullet connections are as follows...
Brown sleeve ( male connector on main loom) = earth
Red sleeve = parking/sidelights
Green sleeve = dipped beam
Yellow sleeve = main beam

artyclarty wrote:
- Stick turned to V, pulled towards = left and right sidelights
- Stick turned to V, pushed = left and right sidelights, right main bulb
- Stick turned to R, pulled towards = left and right sidelights, left and right main bulb
- Stick turned to R, pushed = left and right sidelights, left and right main bulb

Can anyone offer any suggestions on what may be wrong? Or am I just being rather dim?!

December 6th, 2016, 11:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]