View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2024, 5:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Keys 
Firing on two.

Post Keys
Are there any other makes that share 2CV keys? I don't have any spares. Of course I could order some from Europe. Reason I ask is my Fiat Spider shares the same ignition key as a Peugeot which seems common at locksmiths for some odd reason. and I think my Yugo uses something else. Just thought I'd ask why I'm waiting for my doctor's office to open.

November 17th, 2016, 2:24 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Post Re: Keys
2cv has keys from Ronis (doors and lid) and Simplex for the ignition. Could be that a good locksmith can find you something that fits. You might have a try at Fiat as their vans came from the same factory as the PSA vans (242 van even has a 2cv dashboard and steeringwheel).

November 20th, 2016, 6:08 pm
Firing on two.

It's true! :o

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7048/6861 ... fa11_b.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

November 27th, 2016, 12:12 pm
Firing on two.

Update:

So I get my key blanks from a guy in the UK off Ebay. I finally get the chance to take them to a locksmith over here in the US to have them cut.

1) The door and boot key works flawless. No complaints.
2) The ignition key works but I have to work with it a little bit to get it to turn. Such as insert the key and pull it out a hair. I figure eventually the more I use it, the more it will wear down and work easier.

I told the locksmith if he could cut it some more off and he said the key he cut was a copy of a copy and that was the best it would do. How did he know the key he was cutting from was not the original key? Or was he just tired of cutting on it?

This is the same problem I had with the blanks I took him for my Trabant. We finally got the ignition key to work on that car after cutting it 5 times but never could get the door and boot to work.

Anyway my main issue is the locking fuel cap. The blank the guy sent me is apparently not the same as the one that works the cap.

The locksmith pulls his book out and we compared. The key I was sent was a Ronis and we found that blank in the book. The key to the locking fuel cap is a KEYA (something like that). It comes close to the Ronis but he says it's not the correct key. His book does not even show that company for Citroen. He asked me if the cap was aftermarket or original. I have no idea! I'm assuming it's aftermarket.

I'm not concerned about someone stealing petrol from any of my cars. What I am concerned about is loosing my only working key to the fuel cap.

So in the meantime, I'm keeping the fuel cap key in the boot and I'm using the blanks he cut for the ignition and doors and the "copies" in my safe with the originals to all my other cars.

I was filling up today and took a look at the inner workings of the cap. It looks like there is a roll pin that holds the piece on that locks into place. Unlike the locking fuel cap on my Fiat Spider, I can leave it unlocked and close and remove the cap. In lock mode, that cap just spins around.

With the Citroen, I can't remove the key with the cap being unlocked. As far as I can tell.

Is there anyway to make this fuel cap work to where I don't need a key?

I have not yet looked but I'm thinking it would be much easier to find a used non locking fuel cap off Ebay instead of a Keya blank to fit this cap.

April 12th, 2017, 5:03 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

As far as I'm aware ....2CV's never had a locking fuel cap as standard.
If {?} the locking cap on your 2CV is the same fitting as the one on my 2CV, the locking system works by way of having a "collar" fitted in the same way as a normal fuel cap, and the locking cap secures into the collar .....the "collar" is only held in place by one small self tapping screw, a good hard twist should [ hopefully] snap the screw, and it will then work the same as a normal [ standard] fuel cap.
Maybe these pics [below] help explain better ....the retaining screw is at the 5 o-clock position.
hth
T.

C1 UrbanRide[Blue & Orange] {Ltd Ed}

April 12th, 2017, 10:28 am
Firing on two.

There were lots of aftermarket locking fuelcaps for 2cv's. In plastic, in metal. With collar on the tank opening and without. Even there were hinged versions. PJ was a make that you see regularly.

April 12th, 2017, 9:32 pm
Firing on two.

I have a Paul journe locking cap that was, I am told, originally a GS item. Fits with the above mentioned collar.

April 12th, 2017, 9:52 pm
Firing on two.

I found this non locking fuel cap on Ebay.UK:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/332160067374?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I think it would be cheaper than trying to source a Keya key blanks for this aftermarket locking petrol cap.

What other makes use the same fuel cap as a 2CV? I might be able to find one over here that would fit. I have not tried to see if a Fiat or Yugo fuel cap will fit a 2CV. It looks like it's about the same size.

If so I should have a couple of those if I can find them in my stash of parts.

April 13th, 2017, 12:46 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

turbofiat124 wrote:

What other makes use the same fuel cap as a 2CV? .........

I wouldn't recommend those universal caps. They are made of flimsy plastic and are only meant to be temporary, (and that one's quite expensive anyway). Ecas do a proper one, here:
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/petrol-fuel-stainless-steel-locking-p-1956.html
They also have a locking one (as do I).
The only other car that I know of that has the same size/fitting is the old 1960's/70's Austin 1100/1300, which for the American market I think was called the 'Austin America', but it's cap isn't vented like a 2CV one. I fitted one a few years ago, drove 120 miles without realising that the plastic fuel tank was being sucked in on itself, due to the vacuum ca used by a lack of breather/vent hole. It ran fine all the way. However, the following day it started and drove about 1/4 mile and then died because overnight the fuel tank had gone back to it's original shape, leaving the fuel pick-up tube bent up above the level of the fuel.
Doesn't the Fiat/Yugo cap have a screw-thread? (My 1971 Fiat 124 Special, 1973 128 Rally and 1976 128 3P all did).

April 13th, 2017, 2:22 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

chevrons2 wrote:
turbofiat124 wrote:

What other makes use the same fuel cap as a 2CV? .........

I wouldn't recommend those universal caps. They are made of flimsy plastic and are only meant to be temporary, (and that one's quite expensive anyway). Ecas do a proper one, here:
http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/petrol-fuel-stainless-steel-locking-p-1956.html
They also have a locking one (as do I).
The only other car that I know of that has the same size/fitting is the old 1960's/70's Austin 1100/1300, which for the American market I think was called the 'Austin America', but it's cap isn't vented like a 2CV one. I fitted one a few years ago, drove 120 miles without realising that the plastic fuel tank was being sucked in on itself, due to the vacuum ca used by a lack of breather/vent hole. It ran fine all the way. However, the following day it started and drove about 1/4 mile and then died because overnight the fuel tank had gone back to it's original shape, leaving the fuel pick-up tube bent up above the level of the fuel.
Doesn't the Fiat/Yugo cap have a screw-thread? (My 1971 Fiat 124 Special, 1973 128 Rally and 1976 128 3P all did).

Yes the Fiat/Yugo has a screw on fuel cap but is not vented since by that time cars had to have a charcoal canister to maintain positive fuel press in the cap. So that's a good point. I guess I could drill a tiny hole in the center like on my Trabant's fuel cap to vent.

One thing that did come to mind but this sounds a bit dodgy so I'd have to know if it would absolutely work is to insert the key into the cap and turn it anti-clockwise to unlock it and remove it from the car.

Then bend the outer portion of the key back and forth with a pair of pliers until it snaps off so the rest of the key stays inside the lock. Then grind the remainder off flush with the lock. That should allow me to simply turn the cap anti-clockwise when I want to remove it.

Only thing is what if the locking mechanism somehow worked it's way clockwise from vibrations or whatever.

Another idea was to remove the roll pin to get the "hook" or whatever you call it off and remove all the tumblers which might allow me to use the door/boot key (or any other key close to it for that matter).

Like I said, I'm more concerned about loosing my only key to my fuel cap instead of someone stealing my gas or putting something in the tank. Maybe the safe thing to do for now is to get one of those magnetic boxes and just stick the key in it and stick it to the inside of the rear wing in the boot.

As of right now I'm good on parts so I may just order a new cap whenever I need something critical.

April 13th, 2017, 3:30 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next