View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 25th, 2024, 9:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3
 Re-jet it? 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Re-jet it?
Nelsthebass wrote:
Out of interest Ken, how do you tell when a carb is at or near stoichiometric? I guess some expensive piece of analysing kit is required or do you just experiment with different jet sizes until it seems right?

That is one solution, a cheap gauge and narrow band Lambda sensor. With power plug, then it is plug'n'pray...

Of course this is needed to weld on exhaust. It is possible to install so it it nearly impossible to see when sensor is removed...

I like to use Lambda, even in cars (and motorcycles) what have carb. Narrowband sensors are cheap, and often easy to find from cars scrapyard. Of course wideband sensor with own gauge (have two on my other EFI-Dyane) is better, but much expensive...

With friend, we finally find what was wrong on his -57 DS, with narrowband sensor and gauge. He has tried to get correct mixture, but couldn't get it without that gauge. With gauge, it was clear to see what is happening in different driving conditions, and easy to correct right jet. Not so easy task to 50's twin choke Weber, where idle mixture is controlled by 2nd choke, and also BVH gave some extra variables...

November 20th, 2016, 12:38 pm
Firing on two.

Just as a final note, I've put in the bigger (107) main jet, and the performance is definitely better. It was also fairly easy to do - though as Ken says, toothpicks help.

I'll run it like this for a while, then see if putting in the bigger (95) secondary jet makes any difference.

Thanks very much for all the advice and suggestions.

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

November 25th, 2016, 4:23 pm

My new main jet (107) arrived yesterday from ECAS - now I only need to find some time to install it in the freezing cold.

Bye, Thorsten

December 4th, 2016, 2:53 pm
Firing on two.

Good luck Thorsten: it doesn't take long.

But perhaps it should have taken me just a little bit longer. I've now got a distinct smell of petrol in the car - perhaps worse when going uphill? - and having looked in all the obvious places I can't see a sign of a leak. Perhaps it's that damaged carb-top gasket.

I can see I'll have to have a go at it again........

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

December 4th, 2016, 6:35 pm
Firing on two.

Hey Jasu :)
I'm interested in tinkering with a lambda probe, but have no experience of them.
Do the gauge and sensor have match, that is, do they haveto be on the same scale?
Cheers
Roger V

December 4th, 2016, 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3