View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 Mongolia broke my Acadiane 

Post Re: Mongolia broke my Acadiane
ken wrote:
Hi Matt,
out of idle curiosity, was it a garage which had plenty of experience with A series Citroens?
I assume that you made them aware of what you planned to do with the van, so any 2CV-based business should have made sure that the chassis was in tip-top condition.
If they didn't, that's more than a little disappointing.

Some other observations; one of your photographs shows a radiator cap fitted to the fuel tank filler, instead of the proper (vented) item. If that was used on the trip, it may well have restricted fuel flow to the engine, causing it to run lean and overheat.

Also, the starting problems you experienced were almost certainly down to a 'below-par' ignition coil, which is why a new coil, and maybe a spare, should have been on the shopping list when preparing the van.

In case you're wondering, I do have a bit of previous experience with this sort of venture, having prepared a (blue) Acadiane which drove overland from Australia to the UK in 1996/97...

mattknight94 wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for all the advice. I'm going to talk to the place we bought it from originally see what they think.
For everyone asking for photos, here's our facebook page with all our blog posts and photos from the trip: facebook.com/2CSomeYaks/

Hi,

The garage was fairly experienced, I'm not sure there was anything wrong with the chassis before, it may have just been how tightly they put the cable round, coupled with how incredibly bumpy the off road ride to Ulaan Baatar was. But I might be wrong.

The fuel cap came about as we where unfortunately siphoned in Romania and the original fuel cap was lost. We bought that replacement cap at a petrol station.

We got the ignition coil replaced when we were in Istanbul and the starting when hot issue continued so that's what led me to assume it was the carburetor that was was faulty.

Wow, if I can get this one up and running again a trip from Australia would be a pretty cool adventure...

October 14th, 2016, 2:43 pm
2CV Fan

Sad story, I'd be cutting my losses and leaving the shell out there, fwiw, unless it was spectacularly good.

I'd also suspect the ability of the garage who passed the chassis as fit. Any pics?

October 15th, 2016, 11:36 pm
Firing on two.

My 2 bits of rust...

To be blunt ...Crap Chassis :oops:

October 16th, 2016, 11:53 am
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2