View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 8:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Purpose of this flap/folding top back halfway 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Purpose of this flap/folding top back halfway
An update to an old thread. I never could seem to "get it" as to how to fold the top back halfway instead of rolling it all the way back. But yesterday by chance, the wind did it for me!

I initially thought the front portion just folded back but the problem with that was I couldn't figure out how to secure it and keep the hinged bar from falling and banging me on the head. None of the snaps aligned.

So yesterday after getting off work, as I was lifting the front hinge portion back to roll the whole top back, this big gust of wind blew and folded the front portion inward for me. As I laid the front portion back, I noticed that all the snaps aligned. AH HA! So that's how it's supposed to go. Or at least I think so.

But in this photo of Lenny's car, it appears to be folded back the way I initially tried it. The trouble with this position (on mine car anyway) is none of the snaps align and the front bar fell and smacked me on my head. So I assumed I had it all wrong.

Image[/img]

Bad photo due to the light:

As mentioned in the previous reply, the top tends to flap around at speeds above 40 mph.

So is the photo how I have the top folder back on my car correct or Lenny's car?

June 18th, 2017, 4:41 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

If you open the vent flap below the windscreen it usually helps to 'balance out' the air, so it's not quite so buffeting at speed. Another option is to buy a sun mesh/screen that fits under the hood. It helps to slow the speed of the wind entering the car from above while still allowing the passage of fresh air. Here's a link to Matt's Soft Tops.... http://www.matts-soft-tops.co.uk/produc ... cessories/

Very easy to fit ^

June 18th, 2017, 5:15 pm
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
If you open the vent flap below the windscreen it usually helps to 'balance out' the air, so it's not quite so buffeting at speed. Another option is to buy a sun mesh/screen that fits under the hood. It helps to slow the speed of the wind entering the car from above while still allowing the passage of fresh air. Here's a link to Matt's Soft Tops.... http://www.matts-soft-tops.co.uk/produc ... cessories/

Very easy to fit ^

I actually prefer allot of wind. It usually get's about 35C and very humid where I live in the middle of summer so the more air the better.

I make use of the vent under the windscreen whenever the top is down. This is a quite a clever feature. The only thing is it's scooped so blow air upwards toward the inside of the windscreen instead of directly at my face to keep the sweat from building up on my forehead. I guess it's designed that way since most people would prefer air flow through the cabin instead of directly at their face.

I hate to redesign the car but I'd like to remove the plastic scoop above the dash and install some sort of adjustable flapper to go on the inside to where I could direct the air toward my face.

June 19th, 2017, 2:44 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

if you take the dash off the cold air hits your knees

you really want a Dyane ( or a Saab99 which has similar directable cold air for your face even with hot in the cab)

June 19th, 2017, 9:48 pm
Firing on two.

Half open is ok for short town trips really. But it can be fine up to about 50mph if you fold the roof material back under the front bar before attaching the strap to the presstud on the centre B post rail. This stops it flapping about.

June 19th, 2017, 11:27 pm
Firing on two.

richardmorris wrote:
Half open is ok for short town trips really. But it can be fine up to about 50mph if you fold the roof material back under the front bar before attaching the strap to the presstud on the centre B post rail. This stops it flapping about.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

June 19th, 2017, 11:30 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks I will give it a shot.

June 19th, 2017, 11:53 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

In the half-open position you shouldn't be in any danger of the bar falling down and hitting you, as you leave that bar attached to the hood and it's held to the centre cross-bar by the press-stud strap.

It's only if you're rolling the roof all the way back that you take it off the bar that fastens on top of the windscreen.

Or have several people already said that?

1964 HY 72 (Type H, campervan) - LHD
1969 AZU 250 (formerly French Post Office van) - LHD
1982 Red Special - RHD
1983 Burgundy/Black Charleston - RHD
2017 Skoda Octavia Estate 1.4 DSG - LHD

June 26th, 2017, 6:53 pm
Firing on two.

Dennis wrote:
In the half-open position you shouldn't be in any danger of the bar falling down and hitting you, as you leave that bar attached to the hood and it's held to the centre cross-bar by the press-stud strap.

It's only if you're rolling the roof all the way back that you take it off the bar that fastens on top of the windscreen.

Or have several people already said that?

Well the first time I tried this, I didn't have the top fastened correctly in the half position. That's why the bar fell and hit me on my head.

It wasn't until the wind folded the top for me that I realized what the purpose of the center snap was for to hold the bar in place. Otherwise snap didn't make any sense the way I tried to fold.

Keep in mind I'm a "lone wolf" when it comes to this 2CV.

July 11th, 2017, 9:18 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

How can you be a lone wolf, we are all here to give you friendly caring advice :)

July 16th, 2017, 11:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next