View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 9:12 pm

Reply to topic  [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Fuse block help. 
Firing on two.

Post Fuse block help.
As mentioned before, my 2CV seems to be a hybrid of some sorts. 71 Chassis, 600cc engine, disc brakes, Charleston paintjob, etc.

There seems to be wiring changes and several variations of fuse blocks used throughout the years. This would not be a concern if my car was not a hybrid. So I'm a bit confused.

The fuse blocks are quite groaty and needs replacing. The top fuse has to be rotated just right or the left hand tail light and pilot light goes out so new connectors and new fuse blocks are in order!

Here is a photo I took. I wiped the black paint off the wires with acetone. The color of the wires seems to match the colored sleeves except for two fuses which have just green wires going to and from the fuse holders.

Top fuse block:

Green --------- Green --> (color coated sleeves are missing), left hand tail and park lamp
Red --------- Red ---> Right hand tail and park lamp
Blue -------- Blue ----> ?
Yellow ------- Yellow ----> ?

Bottom fuse block:

green -------- green --->
unused
unused
unused

I bought once of these universal type fuse blocks ages ago to use on my 58 Ford tractor:

Ordinary I'd go with an ATO type which cured my Trabant's electrical issues but think I go with the glass type fuse block on this car with new connectors since it's in the engine compartment.

I was going to start pulling fuses to see which fuse did what but was getting tired and packed it up for the day.

Can someone identify this fuses do what and what amp fuses go in which fuse holder?

Thanks!

September 13th, 2016, 4:13 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Fuse block help.
Before tearing the original wiring apart, wouldn't it be worth having a go at cleaning up the connectors in the fuse boxes?
If you pull the little plastic tags at the end of each fuse upwards, each 'blade' can be removed, its contact surfaces cleaned with a small chainsaw file, then coated with petroleum jelly and refitted...

September 13th, 2016, 4:50 pm
Firing on two.

yes and the plastic parts can be put in the dishwasher. You seem to miss the fusebox covers?

September 13th, 2016, 8:06 pm
Firing on two.

Forget the chassis's alleged age. It has no bearing on anything apart from a ruse to circumvent the USA rules on importing cars. Twin fuse boxes means the car is from 1986 on. Your car isn't a hybrid. The engine number matches the vin date. It may have been repainted but that doesn't change the fact that it's a late 1980s Charleston.

September 13th, 2016, 9:51 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Is this where the "plus 1" might be applicable?

Tbh, I had been a bit curious as to how a chassis could be pinned down to being of 1971 manufacture.
If the captive nuts for mounting a disc-type handbrake lever were not present, that would be a fairly reliable indicator.

richardmorris wrote:
Forget the chassis's alleged age. It has no bearing on anything apart from a ruse to circumvent the USA rules on importing cars. Twin fuse boxes means the car is from 1986 on. Your car isn't a hybrid. The engine number matches the vin date. It may have been repainted but that doesn't change the fact that it's a late 1980s Charleston.

September 14th, 2016, 1:08 am
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Before tearing the original wiring apart, wouldn't it be worth having a go at cleaning up the connectors in the fuse boxes?
If you pull the little plastic tags at the end of each fuse upwards, each 'blade' can be removed, its contact surfaces cleaned with a small chainsaw file, then coated with petroleum jelly and refitted...

I actually I tried this using a small wire brush on a Dremel tool to clean up the fuse holder for the most offending circuit but it didn't help. Just based on my experience with fuse box in the past, I found it better to simply replace it along with the connectors.

September 14th, 2016, 2:22 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

AZL57 wrote:
yes and the plastic parts can be put in the dishwasher. You seem to miss the fusebox covers?

Thanks!

September 14th, 2016, 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Is this where the "plus 1" might be applicable?

Tbh, I had been a bit curious as to how a chassis could be pinned down to being of 1971 manufacture.
If the captive nuts for mounting a disc-type handbrake lever were not present, that would be a fairly reliable indicator.

richardmorris wrote:

I'm starting to wonder if someone simply swapped VINs on this car. There are too many things on the car that seem as if would be too hard to swap from one car to another. I'm not sure when the 600 cc engine came about or when disc brakes were fitted to the car. But I think 1971 had drums.

The gearbox has "87" stamped on it in a circuit on the passenger side (RHD). Is that the year the gearbox was produced?

I did not talk to the "actual" owner of this car so I don't know it's history.

There were what was known as factory "refurbed" Trabants. Where the factory actually stripped the cars to the frame and used brand new later model parts. But we are talking about the DDR, I've never heard of 2CVs being factory refurbished.

September 14th, 2016, 2:29 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I'm not finding the headlamp fuses? Are these protected by circuit breakers?

September 15th, 2016, 1:30 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

i think they are not fused..

September 15th, 2016, 8:05 am
Reply to topic   [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next