View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently September 24th, 2019, 10:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Speedo/Odo Dissembly 
Author Message
Firing on two.

Joined: June 22nd, 2014, 8:09 pm
Posts: 637
Location: Reading, Berks UK
Post Speedo/Odo Dissembly
I took my little speedo apart yesterday due to the odo reading suddenly seeming to have jumped the best part of 90,000 miles. It had gone around the clock and was on about 7000 miles last time I noticed it, last MOT was about 9000 miles. Then I noticed on a long journey a week or two ago that it was on 92,000. Which will look very odd on the MOT mileage history so it bugged me.

I've no idea why it did this but I wanted to take it apart as I'd not done it before and so I could reset the mileage to something like where it should be. I can only guess at around 12,000 miles total now as I don't drive too much.

I thought I'd bung some pics up on here in case it helps anyone in the future. They're a bit random, sorry.

The speedo isn't held in by much, as you'd expect..

The annoying mileage I noticed.

Speedo part out of speedo pod. Only two screws holding it in, but you have to take off the aluminium trim surround thing, it has little bendy tabs. Then the plastic screen. The actual speedo part of the pod has its own little plastic screen too which I didnt remove.
Someone had been in here before, I have no idea why as I've had the car since it was 8 years old and 26,000 miles.

The back of the actual speedo part, once removed from its alloy pod. The alloy pod was starting to corrode inside and creating a mess so I cleaned it well (used carb cleaner) and wiped it with a little WD40.

The needle has to be popped off to withdraw the rear of the unit from behind to access the gubbins. This is very easy. Unlike some other cars.

Odometer cogs like this one were very dirty. I cleaned them and then lubed a bit with silicone grease. Obviously don't use normal/petroleum based grease as it will attack the plastic.

Mileage set to what I think might be right. The row of digits come out as a whole. It wasn't possible to rotate them at all even with the drive cog removed. But by carefully prising out the plastic tabs, the whole wheel came out easily. I cleaned the digit wheels carefully with cotton wool bud and isopropyl alcohol.

Fuel gauge. Three tiny nuts on the rear of the alloy pod to release the little gauge and it comes out. It cleaned up really nicely with gentle use of the alcohol and cotton buds.

The rear of the fuel gauge had corrosion and dirt all over it. I cleaned it carefully just for good measure. Actually the whole of the speedo and fuel gauge were very dirty, I rinsed what i could so bits wouldn't be floating around as they were.

Finished. The alloy trim ring looks much better than before as I fitted it back on carefully. I cleaned everything I could including the grey plastic bits, so it looks much better overall.
Lesson learned - don't get carb cleaner behind the little speedo screen as it marked the face of it. Obviously I'm fine with that but will be more careful next time.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

September 11th, 2016, 2:11 pm
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ] 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 28 guests

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group.
Designed by STSoftware for PTF.