View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 8:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Suspension Conversion 
Firing on two.

Post Suspension Conversion
i am sure it has been answered before, but I can't find it.
Can you modify an AZU Model A van from damper suspension to shock absorber suspension. If so, where can you get "conversion kits"
BobH

May 14th, 2016, 9:58 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Suspension Conversion
Yes but you need a plate to fix the shocks to. On my 57 there was an accessoiry shockabsorber kit. I had a plate screwed to the spring tubes and an arm screwed the rear wheel arms.
looked very much like this
http://www.mehariclub.com/adaptateur-am ... 07550.html

May 14th, 2016, 10:47 pm
Firing on two.

Did you find the suspension a little better or much better after fitting shocs? Seems like we are talking in the order of £250 . I find that when cornering on bumpy lanes, that the front suspension gets into an uncontrolled wobble and then looses grip (Ie, un-damped) - It could be said that I drive too fast !
Bob

May 15th, 2016, 8:28 am
Firing on two.

I read somewhere on l think this forum that you can change the damper oil in the inertia dampers, also that the piston(s) maybe stuck :-)

May 15th, 2016, 12:06 pm
Firing on two.

Oil changed, dampers dropped from 1m high etc etc. I suspect they have had a hard life and after 63 years are probably worn out.

May 15th, 2016, 7:28 pm
Firing on two.

i did throw the hydraulic shocks of. The originals are very good. Are you sure the inertia dampers are the problem and not the steering as you say the car goes in a wobble? No dents in the dampers that brake the moving weight? Are your friction dampers ok, they have to work together.

May 17th, 2016, 5:37 pm
Firing on two.

Friction dampers should be OK - They are only 40 years old !! Perhaps replace them before anything else ??

May 17th, 2016, 6:59 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Bob,
there's not much to wear out in these devices, since they're just a big lump of metal parked on top of a spring.
The most common fault seems to be that the weight seizes inside the tube, the other is that the spring breaks, both are repairable...

"The heavy steel piston which provides the 'inertia' for Citroen's ingenious inertia damper is poised on top of a single spring.
This spring is wound onto and firmly attached to both the piston and the outer case of the unit.
Note that the small quantity of oil which is added to the assembly does not provide any form of hydraulic damping, but is simply to provide lubrication and ensure free movement of the slider in its housing.
The batteur damps high frequency / low amplitude displacements of the vehicle's radius arm, with the friction damper at the axle end catering for low frequency / high amplitude movements."

ImageBatteur in bits by slcchassis, on Flickr

bobh wrote:
Oil changed, dampers dropped from 1m high etc etc. I suspect they have had a hard life and after 63 years are probably worn out.

May 17th, 2016, 7:55 pm
Firing on two.

Hi Ken - That's a bit of interesting info. How do you replace the springs, as it looks like a welded canister.

May 17th, 2016, 10:08 pm
Firing on two.

if there is something broken inside you have to find another BATTEUR. The friction dampers can be cleaned and adjusted (normally). You have to make/borrow a tool to put them on again. I had broken friction liners in my dampers.

May 17th, 2016, 10:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]