View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 5:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Starter Motor 
Firing on two.

Post Starter Motor
I keep buying these cheap ones from Ecas and they don't last very long at all. They just go slower and slower, as if the battery is flat - but its not. Anyone else have this problem?

Unfortunately I have discarded my old ones, I had a few knocking around. If anyone has a defunct OE one they don't want, let me know please - I could get get it rebuilt. Happily pay you for your trouble, and postage of course.

January 29th, 2016, 6:33 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Starter Motor
I had the same - took it apart and it had plastic gears inside - piece of crap - bought second hand original from Ami2cv over here - not cheap 100 euros and no come backs but worked fine

January 29th, 2016, 7:04 pm
Firing on two.

Claim a refund. :roll:

January 29th, 2016, 9:13 pm
Firing on two.

People on this forum are usually very positive about Ecas, if this is based on reality, i'm sure they can help you out to solve the problem.

Ianredspecial wrote:
I keep buying these cheap ones from Ecas and they don't last very long at all. They just go slower and slower, as if the battery is flat - but its not. Anyone else have this problem?

Unfortunately I have discarded my old ones, I had a few knocking around. If anyone has a defunct OE one they don't want, let me know please - I could get get it rebuilt. Happily pay you for your trouble, and postage of course.

January 30th, 2016, 10:32 am
Firing on two.

I think it's past any potential for warranty claim unfortunately.

ECAS is great, I get nearly all my new parts from there. I think starters and alternator supply options have dried up a bit though in the UK, from my last digging around trying to find a decent quality alternator.

A nice member is sending me an old one, so once rebuilt I'll have one that'll last for years. And sound normal too, this latest type I had never sounded very nice, very scratchy.

January 30th, 2016, 9:32 pm
Firing on two.

EU law guarantees at least 2 years warranty on these sort of products, and if you don't claim it, they won't know of the lack of quality, and keep selling these crap parts.

Ianredspecial wrote:
I think it's past any potential for warranty claim unfortunately.

ECAS is great, I get nearly all my new parts from there. I think starters and alternator supply options have dried up a bit though in the UK, from my last digging around trying to find a decent quality alternator.

A nice member is sending me an old one, so once rebuilt I'll have one that'll last for years. And sound normal too, this latest type I had never sounded very nice, very scratchy.

January 31st, 2016, 9:52 am
Firing on two.

My 2 cranks worth...
For me the small Valeo starters, with the nylon reductions gears, have been the most reliable. The muck only gets to the bendix gear, never seems to to ingess to the motor part.. ...

January 31st, 2016, 1:08 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks, makes sense.

January 31st, 2016, 9:33 pm
Firing on two.

Put on a rebuilt Iskra today. Wow what a difference, it spins the motor so fast in comparison, much quieter too. It was the only type available I think, free from a forum member which was very much appreciated.
Rebuild was about £80 but well worth it, I'm expecting it to last a long time and start the car much better.

March 24th, 2016, 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]