View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 29th, 2024, 12:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Club cassis electronic ignition 
2CV Fan

Post Re: Club cassis electronic ignition
Pointing back to points : :D
I had no problems when I was running points , love the smooth tick over and power below 3000 rpm of electronic ignition though.
How about the 123 evo on a modified engine?

February 17th, 2016, 4:15 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Mark,
nothing causes 'pre-detonation', since it does not exist.
However, an engine may suffer from either 'detonation' or 'pre-ignition'...

https://www.savvyanalysis.com/articles/ ... e-ignition

...although I do not agree with the author's statement that all engines can withstand extended periods of detonation without suffering damage.
I've seen too many A series engines that have not survived an inaccurate ignition timing setup.

Mark Norton wrote:
i didnt realise overly retarded timing also cause pre detonation.
Temperature gauges indicate it's not running hot.

February 17th, 2016, 5:00 pm
2CV Fan

Thanks for that information Ken.
I am only getting a "tinkling " noise at a certain mid rev range when accelerating hard. Maybe this is not a problem as it performs very well when timed up properly. I have an CHT gauge fitted to keep an eye on.

February 17th, 2016, 5:52 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Are You sure the heads don't leak at the barrels. This wil give the same simptomes..
or the exhaust manifold which leaks just a little...

Russ

February 17th, 2016, 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

One my friend has same kind of behaving with MCC ignition. Looked with strobe, the advance was very odd, it altered too much even at idle and more at high revs. Ordered new one, swapped that an all odd behaving disappeared...

The ignition was sent back to MCC, they tested it and sent back a new unit. Haven't test that yet because it arrived about month ago...

February 17th, 2016, 10:13 pm
Firing on two.

My 652cc big bore runs with a simple points assist electronic ignition that cost about £20 from EBay and is timed close to normal advance settings as recommended by Ken and others and suffers no pinking - beauty of these are you can revert back to points easily if suspect......tbh I've tried all sorts of ignition - lumenition, standard points, 123 and points assisted and in reality they don't make a massive difference to performance except for cold starting using electronic versions and I wouldn't bother with any of the more expensive versions again.....

1966 Ami Break

February 17th, 2016, 11:02 pm
2CV Fan

my experience : i have a 650 big-bore & I use the famous 1-2-Spark ignition - I also have a 123-ignition mounted on the same engine. When I swap from 123 to 1-2-spark and back I notice quit some difference - once you use a 1-2-Spark you don't want any other system ! Noticeble increase in torque. In the beginning I had some pinking at full accelleration at certain rev's, you connect to your laptop and retard a little in this region and problem solved. Got 1-2-Spark on both my running cars - very satisfied with this system, no malfunctioning so far.

February 18th, 2016, 12:26 am
Firing on two.

I wouldn't compare any programmable ignition to non-programmable or even to 123-evo where you can only choose from 16 different ignition curves...

123-ignition, NG-nition, MCC-ignition, etc, are practically "only" substitute for points. And even with points, you can alter curve more than with those substitutes...

February 18th, 2016, 11:24 am
Firing on two.

Retarding the ignition is not the way forward, fit points back and do your tuning with them.

Mark Norton wrote:
Thanks, yes I have deliberately over retarded the timing in an effort to stop pinking in the mid range. I thought that only overly advanced timing causes pinking, i didnt realise overly retarded timing also cause pre detonation.
Temperature gauges indicate it's not running hot.

February 19th, 2016, 1:41 pm
Profile WWW
2CV Fan

Very carefully dynamically set the timing up again today. Whatch that Cylinder Head Temperature gauge climb when the engine pinks :!:
On my regular route before well off the clock, now cannot get near the top speed of points only about 65 on the flat slowly creeps up to 70 top. The car is not fast or as much fun anymore but I really like the bottom end torque as I don't slide all over the place getting out of my steep grassy drive :P and it's so much better in slow moving traffic.
Surley it must be possible to get the curve remapped :?: Are these units hackable :?:

February 22nd, 2016, 6:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next