View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 6:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 backfiring problems 

Post backfiring problems
My 1987 2CV motor is backfiring. Spitting fire out of the carburetor and seems to be miss firing? I've replaced: Battery, Alternator, Voltage Regular, removed the carb to inspect. When I attempt to increase RPM from idle the motor backfires, spits fire out of carb. H E L P

July 10th, 2009, 10:33 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: backfiring problems
Ht leads, coil, points, or mixture i would think. Guys on here know more.

...Betsy...............Ellie...............Molly

July 10th, 2009, 11:29 pm
Profile YIM
viking bastard

Condenser and contact points

July 10th, 2009, 11:35 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

1/Check and (most probably) adjust your valve clearances.
On unleaded fuel, it's worth setting the valve clearances slightly wider than originally recommended.
0.25mm for the exhausts and 0.2mm for the inlets...

2/ Check inlet tract, including carb base 'gasket' for air leaks.

3/ Check if accelerator pump in carb is working.
It should inject a fine jet of neat fuel into the carb throat when the throttle is opened

July 10th, 2009, 11:43 pm

To prove to you all that I'm ignorant on the mechanics of the 2CV I'll ask the following questions: Do I need to drop the engine out to adjust the valves? With electronic ignition how is timing determined? Could my fuel pump possible be one of the contributors to the backfiring? I inspected the carburator by removing the 6 screws and lifting off the top to determine whether there was anything apparently plugging up fuel flow and it all seems good. I replaced the carburetor then checked the choke function and it seems to do its job. I torqued down the fuel mixture screw until the engine began to wind down and then turned it counterclockwise to increase the fuel and it seemed to attain an acceptable. The motor idles just fine albeit a tad bit rough but not bad. However, when introducing an rpm increase demand the carburetor spits fire, barks and if the rpm increase is sustained the motor will spool down and die with a dying gasp of black smoke out the exhaust. I'd love to drive this machine without parking beside the road in disgust........tomorrow here in France is a 2CV rally and I'm afraid to take the machine out of the barn for fear of ruining the day for my fellow 2cv afficianados (sp?).

July 11th, 2009, 10:25 am
Firing on two.

ajmediator wrote:
To prove to you all that I'm ignorant on the mechanics of the 2CV I'll ask the following questions:

Whilst whoever coined the phrase "The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked" had clearly never been on a web forum, these are all sensible questions...

Quote:
Do I need to drop the engine out to adjust the valves?

No. Just remove the front wings - very straightforward - then take the rocker covers off.

Quote:
With electronic ignition how is timing determined?

In exactly the same way as with points - the box is rotated until the right point.

Quote:
Could my fuel pump possible be one of the contributors to the backfiring?

Very unlikely.

Quote:
tomorrow here in France is a 2CV rally and I'm afraid to take the machine out of the barn for fear of ruining the day for my fellow 2cv afficianados (sp?).

Take it along, open the bonnet and look gently puzzled. You'll have four people under there working on it for you in minutes.

July 11th, 2009, 12:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Old Bloke

You might also consider coming on one of our courses, see www.2CVTech.co.uk for details. We do cover all the things listed below.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

July 11th, 2009, 3:19 pm
Firing on two.

pound to a penny it's the carb base gasket. But uncle ken is the most wisest of people so I'd pay attention to wot e sez. ;)

July 12th, 2009, 6:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]