View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 11:52 pm

Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
 What fuel to get abroad? 
super slot

Post Re: What fuel to get abroad?
toomany2cvs wrote:

I dunno if you can even get Lumie any more.

Uncle Roy still has it:

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/lumenitio ... -1170.html

July 14th, 2009, 9:59 pm
Profile WWW
Old Bloke

Luminition = crap, lots of wires and not much advantage.

The 123 or its equivalent [I prefer the Mehari club cassis varient which fits better] so simple.

No luddites here. [can't believe I can spell that correctly the amount I have had tonight] vive la revolution.

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

July 15th, 2009, 12:30 am
Firing on two.

ken wrote:
Erm,
if I'm not mistaken, some of the 4x4 squad have been known to swear at their 123, when it's let them down.
I recall Paul Tyson's pickup going into the 'running on one cylinder' mode during one of Louis' adventure weekends in the Dalby Forest. This is a fault which has been reported by other users more than enough times.

Chris Isles' other car, not the 4x4 Dyane, suffered a sudden and complete failure of its 123 on a relatively short trip to one of the northern camps a few years back.
Unfortunately, he wasn't carrying the 'fallback' points box and points cam in the boot at the time.

As for smoother running, I recall challenging anyone who wished to drive a car and without looking under the bonnet, be able to distinguish whether it was on 123 or properly set up points.
There weren't any takers, even though there would have been a 50/50 chance of getting it right. :lol:
ken.

It wer me that gave chris my spare points and points box to get him going again that I always carry in case the 123 packs in :lol: at silloth bout 3 years ago.

July 15th, 2009, 12:32 am
Firing on two.

grifftravel wrote:

I appreciate you have WAY more experiance than me (and I've never used 123) but my Luminition installation seems neat and it's never failed me.

July 15th, 2009, 12:36 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Hi Graham,
I trust that you've been provided with a replacement backup kit, just in case 'fit and forget' proves not to be the case with your own 123...

ken.

ginger bloke wrote:
It wer me that gave chris my spare points and points box to get him going again that I always carry in case the 123 packs in :lol: at silloth bout 3 years ago.

July 15th, 2009, 1:05 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Sam,
I'd tend to agree with you, especially since I know of 2 Lumenition installations which are still going strong after almost 20 years of use.

I'm having some difficulty understanding how such performance could be described as 'crap'... ;)

ken.

samfieldhouse wrote:
grifftravel wrote:

I appreciate you have WAY more experiance than me (and I've never used 123) but my Luminition installation seems neat and it's never failed me.

July 15th, 2009, 1:18 am
Firing on two.

Chris posted me a new set not long after ta, it's just one of the items I carry in my box of essential spares when touring. Spare alternater brushes also now included after Sweden :D All ready for Czech now. :D You going Ken?

July 15th, 2009, 8:55 am
Old Bloke

ken wrote:
I'm having some difficulty understanding how such performance could be described as 'crap'... ;)

Morning Ken, Oh my head. It was Bastile Day here yesterday. I had consumed perhaps more than I should have and should not have made posts. In fact I can't believe I found the computer last night.

In the cold [actually very hot] but bleary light of day the word crap was not appropriate.

However, I am a big fan of the "fit and forget" type of electronic ignition that replaces the points box [which I do carry around just in case]. Like all electronic equipment that replaces mechanical it is more accurate. They seem to have got much better over the last few years too.

I buy the unit made by Mehari Club Cassis, which is not only the cheapest but also fits better in the housing than all the other brands. I suspect its componenets and layout [cant spell circuitry] is much the same. I think I have fitted about 15 of these now and in addition 4-5 123 brand and at least 5 DGNition. Of those 25 units fitted I know of only one failure [a DGNition]. The unit just stoped and was ultimatly replaced under guarantee. Its failure was a complete pain and the car had to be recovered [owner had not kept the points box]

In each case the fitting of electronic ignition had improved the starting and smooth running of the cars they were fitted to. I accept that in each case poor servicing and maintenance may well have been a contribution to the problems in the first place.

You can tell I am a big fan of these but do understand those pureists who like to keep the cars original and with original equipement buts lets face it the design of the 2CV ignition system is rather on the elderly side.

Modern technology does not detract from the fun of the car.

Are you going to CZ?

Best wishes

Paul

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

July 15th, 2009, 9:21 am
Firing on two.

In my experience every day is bastille day for you :lol:

July 15th, 2009, 10:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6