View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:48 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 A Mot Question? 
Firing on two.

Post A Mot Question?
I took my 2cv for an mot well i did'nt but i went as well. When it came to emissions they revved it to what seemed maximum unloaded limit i thought surly that is not right? Maybe somone (spanners) could explain maybe why they did it? It did pass the test btw

...Betsy...............Ellie...............Molly

July 6th, 2009, 10:49 pm
Profile YIM
Firing on two.

Post Re: A Mot Question?
I thought that was done on diesel engines? Well our 2cv did'nt smoke so all was good

July 6th, 2009, 10:51 pm
Profile YIM
Firing on two.

they normal should hold the revs at a reasonably high level for about 20 secs whilst the machine calibrates,just after that they should let it drop to idle to get a reading
,the co should stay below a certain level for about 30 secs,the display stays coloured in the green if its ok
shouldnt be no where near as high revs as a diesel test,they rev the nuts off the engine then

shouldnt take long as they only need a co reading as its got no cat and the limits are higher for an old car

July 7th, 2009, 12:01 am
2cvnutter wrote:
I took my 2cv for an mot well i did'nt but i went as well. When it came to emissions they revved it to what seemed maximum unloaded limit i thought surly that is not right? Maybe somone (spanners) could explain maybe why they did it? It did pass the test btw

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the tester is a bit of a cock (maybe like the guy that tested Russ' Ami) and didn't like the car so tried deliberately screw you!

Some testers are absolute to55ers like that unfortunately. :evil:

Did it fail on anything?

July 7th, 2009, 7:44 am
Field Plougher

2cvnutter wrote:
It did pass the test

July 7th, 2009, 8:30 am
Firing on two.

Diesels have the smoke test which necesitates a full power session but the tester can refuse if he thinks it will dammage the engine ie. crappy oil worn belts.

The co2 is at idle but a quick blast to warm the engine and clear it wont do it any harm may have done you a favour! if it was exsessive ask why they had to do it.

the tester does know its not a diesel? many people that should know, have told me "its a diesel innit" or " its a 2stroke mate"

Good that it passed nice to have a garage that doesnt get all antsy about working play in the kingpins

take them a jar of coffee and a packet of choc hobnobs and it'll do better next time ;)

Sean

July 7th, 2009, 10:57 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Hi,
this is how it's supposed to happen, but without a rev counter it might be difficult for the tester to estimate what speed your engine's actually spinning.

1. Raise the engine speed to around 2500rpm or half the maximum engine speed if this is lower. Hold this speed steady for 20 seconds to ensure that the inlet and exhaust system is properly purged. Allow the engine to idle and the emissions to stabilise.

As Sean has said, going a bit higher shouldn't cause any problem, unless the tester floors it with the engine unloaded and bounces an exhaust valve... :(

ken.

July 7th, 2009, 11:35 am
Firing on two.

Get a car that's old enough it doesn't need it doing.

July 7th, 2009, 6:46 pm
Firing on two.

spanners wrote:
2cvnutter wrote:

The only explanation that I can come up with is that the tester is a bit of a cock (maybe like the guy that tested Russ' Ami) and didn't like the car so tried deliberately screw you!

Some testers are absolute to55ers like that unfortunately. :evil:

Did it fail on anything?

There was nothing for him to Fail it on. My brother is an Mot'er now and he pre tested it and there was nothing to do so he could not fault it.

July 7th, 2009, 8:44 pm
Profile YIM
Firing on two.

1975 is emissions exempt. Depending on year and i don't think the mot tester likes 2cv so that is why he raised it around -say 4500 rpm or more-. Cock

July 7th, 2009, 8:47 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next