View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Dismantling a geabox 
Haggis Muncher

Post Dismantling a geabox
I decided last night that I was going to get over my fear of gearboxes finally, so full of enthusiasm i set off to the lock up with a haynes manual and a spring in my step...

Step 1 is apparently to start at step 12 then come back. Go figure.

Step 12 starts off by telling you to use a chain or strap wrench to remove the 'special nuts' that are on the output shafts (probably using the wrong name for them - the bits the the driveshafts attach to) before anything else can happen. I don't have a strap wrench, and my chain wrench just kept slipping on the completely smooth circles.

Step 3 is to notice that petrol is dripping from your fuel tank.

Step 4 is to spend the rest of the day digging out and fitting a spare fuel tank in minus 5 degrees, skinning every knuckle in the process.

Now i'm pretty sure that steps 3 and 4 aren't par for the course, but the chain wrench thing was annoying - can anyone give me some advice about removing my nuts? (hee hee hee)

January 20th, 2015, 8:42 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Dismantling a geabox
I have only removed the output shaft nuts on gs type boxes, I did this by using a hammer and drift in the 'check out' in the nut, same for tightening...

January 21st, 2015, 2:52 am
viking bastard

Post Re: Dismantling a geabox
Out put hub ring nuts are locked. Bore the folded edge gently. Tap the ring nut with a chisel to unscrew it (on the edge, well clear of the thread) Some gear boxes are fitted with ring nuts prepared for a drift. Remove all 6 bolts including the 8 nuts inside the clutch housing, the hub is easily removed.

January 21st, 2015, 10:44 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]