View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 12:47 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Old charging system - warning light on. 
Firing on two.

Post Old charging system - warning light on.
Car is an AK350 with the old school 12v charging system from an Ami 6 with the little red box of tricks behind the dash.
Ignition got left on (not by me), I only noticed because i saw the charge warning light on through the window (which is green in mine, although I presume it's mean to be red...).
Coil was fine - I guess because 123uni is fitted?
However charge warning light remains persistently on. Battery charging between 12.2 and 14.0 - it used to sit at 14.3 quite happily.
Got the alternator in bits at the moment, will check/change the fuse.
Any other ideas?
Could leaving the ignition on have damaged whatever that little red box is behind the dash?

Do I need the charge warning system for an old style alternator to work or can I loose it? I'd rather keep it as it's always worked fine.

October 21st, 2014, 10:02 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Old charging system - warning light on.
Sam,
those voltage readings suggest that there's nothing wrong with the alternator and regulator, in which case it's going to be the little box of tricks which has failed.

The takeoff from the alternator for the 'lack of charge' relay is via those two brass pins poking out of the plastic cover on the alternator.
Disconnecting the leads from them will not affect the normal function of the alternator, just be sure to slip insulating sleeves over the pins as they will still be live.

If you're still keen to have the idiot light functioning, here's a DIY kit... ;)
http://www.reuk.co.uk/12-Volt-Battery-L ... -LM741.htm

October 21st, 2014, 11:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]