View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 7:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Best way to take windscreen out & put new one in 

Post Best way to take windscreen out & put new one in
What is the best and safest way to remove the windscreen from my 2cv. The bottom edge of the screen frame is going rusty so I thought if I catch it now hopefully there won't be too much work. I will be fitting a new windscreen as the old one is chipped and have never actually fitted one before but am aware of the whole procedure, but if anyone out there would like to throw in any tips I would love to hear them.

Thanks in advance
Milongaman

June 26th, 2009, 10:59 am
Firing on two.

Post Re: Best way to take windscreen out & put new one in
It's good that your putting a new one in, as I've never managed to take one out without breaking it.
Putting a new one in is fairly easy using the string/rope method. Give the surround a damn good brushing of wax oil before refitting the screen it helps it to go in and prevents it rusting again. Ideally you need an assistant who can push on the edge of the glass from outside as you are pulling the string from the inside. When pulling the string pull it in the direction towards the middle of the glass not to the inside of the car(does that make sense?) so it forces the rubber over the surround.

It easier to explain talking rather than typing so send me a pm with your phone number if you want and I'll talk you through it

June 26th, 2009, 11:17 am
2CV Fan

Since you are not going to keep the old windscreen, the whole job becomes vastly easier. The hard bit always, is to remove the windscreen intact. They invariably crack (I presume we are talking laminated windscreen glass).

To remove, use a flat screwdriver to prise the rubber from the frame, working from within the car. Its easier with two people as one also needs to apply pressure to the glass. Ideal job for an octopus. I've always started and the bottom of the screen, and generally broken the glass on one of the top corners.

Putting the new glass in is more straightforward. Position the rubber around the glass. Get some strong cord and insert that into the rubber channel so that it goes all the way around the windscreen and overlaps at one of the bottom corners. At this point, spraying some lanolin oil into the channel to lubricate the rubber is a good idea. Again, two people are best, but I have done it twice by myself. With the roof open, offer the windscreen to the opening. Apply some pressure to the windscreen and simultaneously start to pull one end of the cord away at rightangles to the glass, curling the rubber so that it clears the frame and grips it. You may at this time use your third hand to hold the other end of the cord, as it will want to disappear into the channel as you pull. Maybe tie off the loose end to prevent this. Continue pulling one end of the cord until the rubber has been pulled over the frame. You will need to use a flat screwdriver or similar to work the rubber whilst apply pressure to get a good fit.

As a precaution, prior to replacing the windscreen, have a valium and remove any hammers or objects capable of breaking glass. Expect to try the above exercise (if working by yourself) about 3 or 4 times before you are successful. It will test your patience and you will be tempted to attack it with a hammer or brick. Don't. Things always work out in the end.

Daffy Duck

June 26th, 2009, 11:58 am

Many thanks Ginger Bloke and Daffy Duck, that's what I wanted to hear. I will be doing the job after the summer and will post some photos.

Thanks Guys
Milongaman

June 26th, 2009, 12:52 pm
viking bastard

Done many many windsceens over time and yes broke a few on the way out. Some people cut the rubber seals away from out side. The seal is cheaper that the windscreen. New seals are very flexible making it easy to fit the windscreen, old selas gives me some grief being to hard putting more pressure on the corners.

June 26th, 2009, 1:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

I've not done many, but would advise you buy a new rubber, as the old one will usually be hard, and make the job more likely to go wrong.

June 26th, 2009, 4:22 pm
Firing on two.

My back window has come out by about ....................................................................................................... much lol, ive been waiting ages for a "man" to sort it but ive had not luck, would it be easier for me to take the whole thing out and start again or just try and push it back in :?:

or better still, any one fancy doing it for me :?:

June 26th, 2009, 6:02 pm
Firing on two.

Woody? or not long to registers zanne I'm sure there are some knights in shining armour willing to help a damsel in distress.

or even you :lol:

June 26th, 2009, 6:33 pm
Firing on two.

I have done it a couple of times without breakage's with old seals.

You need three or four willing helpers, half an hour, a couple of meteres of dyneema sailing super string, four pairs of flip flops, and some washing up liquid.

To remove the screen place your helpers across the front seats in flipflops.

Get them to place their feet along the top edge of the windscreen so in each corner is a foot, with the rest of the feet spread over the glass covering as wide an area as possible.

Get them to place even pressure over the screen, but not too much. Over about ten minutes you will see the seal change shape, and eventually you can slowly deliver the windscreen keeping the seal in a reusable state.

It is important to keep an eye on the windscreen to ensure the screen is always flat, you will need to keep talking to each member of the team to modify the pressure they put onto the windscreen.

To put it back in fill the groove in the seal with washingup liquid and a spot of water, ram the sailing string into the bottom of the groove. Then put the bottom of the screen in, apply pressure to the corners, and place the whole screen over the aperture as closely to in as possible. Then pull out the string carefully pulling the seal through.

Simple..

Good luck.

June 27th, 2009, 2:35 pm
Old Bloke

Video required of the last post, got to be good for a laugh :lol:

http://www.2CVTech.co.uk

June 27th, 2009, 6:19 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next