View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 24th, 2024, 6:02 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Oil sensor leak 
Firing on two.

Post Oil sensor leak
So here I am with more questions for the wise ones :)

My car has been leaking oil like a sieve, over the winter it got really bad before I noticed and it turned out the oil feed pipe had corroded, so I changed that, had problems with the thread on the crankcase because as per usual I over tightened it.. I rescued that and no leaks there at all, only it still has been leaving puddles everywhere.

Today I popped off the cowling to look, suspecting that actually my head needed re-seating. It turns out not, I re-torqued the head anyway, but the leak is actually coming from the oil sensor switch thingy.

My question is can I just tighten that up? Or is there a seal I can buy - or in fact does it need a new sensor unit with seal attached?

(I do wonder if I need a new breather too, and if that might help. Its not that old but I hear they don't last forever.)

July 12th, 2014, 2:41 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: Oil sensor leak
Well it seems the thing itself is duff. Took it out, cleaned the threads and surfaces, annealed the washer as I didn't have any to hand and replaced it onto the motor, same leak clearly from there. Tightened it up as much as I dared given the alloy block, no change at all.

So I ordered a new one and expect that'll sort it. Quite chuffed, it's been leaking for ages now and I really thought it'd be the head.

July 12th, 2014, 5:45 pm
Firing on two.

Oil sensor get leaky when old, i suspect because of the plastics degrading of the heat or breaking because of the heat changes.

July 12th, 2014, 6:00 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks. Yeah the plastic bit can be wobbled slightly in its housing.

July 12th, 2014, 6:08 pm
Firing on two.

just fit another switch

July 12th, 2014, 6:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]