View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 MOT incompetent tester. 
2CV Fan

Post MOT incompetent tester.
I recently had a refusal notice from an MOT tester. He failed a good car on insecure 'torsion bars' both sides front and back. I eventually got the car to another MOT inspector and it passed. The point is, as we all know there are no 'torsion bars' and I think the original tester jacked the car up and felt the tie rod ends to be loose, which is perfectly normal. He also failed the hand break which I suspect he tested on the rolling road, I couldn't push the car with the H/B on. The tester was correct about the welding required and a king pin. This car might have been written of if I had not been savvy enough to question the result and use a more mature and experienced tester for retest. Question. Who do I write to to report this matter and to ensure that all testers get advice about what a 'tie rod' is as opposed to a 'torsion bar'

April 24th, 2013, 5:25 pm
2CV Fan

Post Re: MOT incompetent tester.
Sounds like they may have thought the handbrake was on the rear wheels? Thankfully the 'junior' tester where I took mine was informed of that error by the more senior tester.
Sorry not sure who you would write to though...

April 24th, 2013, 5:57 pm
2CV Fan

The older experienced tester I eventually went to said," He's probably under 30". I said "Yep, and the car was only in production for 42 F'in years". Laughter alround....

April 24th, 2013, 7:53 pm
Firing on two.

i,m pretty sure theres a complaint procedure on the refusal form :?:
you should be able to get your money back
its important to take 2cv,s to the correct garages that have savvy testers, i take mine to a place that has old vehicles for hire, they know about 2cv,s
forget any others they test modern cars

April 24th, 2013, 9:20 pm
Firing on two.

I take my to my local Just MoTs centre. They don't know about 2cvs, but they do appreciate it's an old car.

I stay well away from "2cv friendly" garages for 2 reasons. Some of them know the cars a little too well and know exactly where to go looking for trouble :evil: . On the other hand, some of them are clearly blind and wear rosy spectacles and I do prefer my cars to be safe, not just MoTd! :lol:

April 25th, 2013, 2:21 am
Firing on two.

each too their own i suppose
maybye ill try quickfit

April 25th, 2013, 2:33 am
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
ayjay wrote:
each too their own i suppose
maybye ill try suicide

A better option than Kwik Fit ... :lol:

April 25th, 2013, 8:48 am
Aircooled Idiot

I tried my local garage which tests classics and are v good
Sadly the tester i had that day was an apprentice from citroen uk 30 yrs ago so was mr no it all. And failed lots of things in correctly.

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 25th, 2013, 9:20 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

sbach wrote:
He also failed the hand break which I suspect he tested on the rolling road

Which is precisely what the test requires.
http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s03000703.htm

Testers don't write the fail points out, they pick from a list. Yes, the construction of the knife edges is "a bit odd", and it's entirely possible that he did fail it inappropriately on that. But don't get all hung up on him having picked a fail reason with the wrong wording.

April 25th, 2013, 10:11 am
Profile YIM WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

I think that recent changes in the MOT rules must have some bearing on this problem with testers failing the tie rod/knife edge assembly on A series vehicles for invalid reason(s).

I'd already heard of a couple in the last month, but this fellow must take the prize for describing a tie rod as a torsion bar... :lol:

However, I've never seen an MOT hand brake test carried out using any method other than with brake rollers, so I doubt that you'd have much success pursuing an objection to that procedure.

ken

sbach wrote:
I recently had a refusal notice from an MOT tester. He failed a good car on insecure 'torsion bars' both sides front and back. I eventually got the car to another MOT inspector and it passed. The point is, as we all know there are no 'torsion bars' and I think the original tester jacked the car up and felt the tie rod ends to be loose, which is perfectly normal. He also failed the hand break which I suspect he tested on the rolling road, I couldn't push the car with the H/B on. The tester was correct about the welding required and a king pin. This car might have been written of if I had not been savvy enough to question the result and use a more mature and experienced tester for retest. Question. Who do I write to to report this matter and to ensure that all testers get advice about what a 'tie rod' is as opposed to a 'torsion bar'

April 25th, 2013, 10:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next