View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 4:30 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Boot extension 
Firing on two.

Post Boot extension
Got me one of those and today I put it on the car to see how it fitted. It didn't....not very good anyway. But after a while I got it to fit ok.

But there is one problem, and I really can't figure out a good solution.

At the top corners, where the boot hinge is, there is a open space, right in to the boot. What to do to keep the water out? Duck-tape?? That's not a good solution since the bootlid is often opened...

Suggestions?

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_BrGHzFCT5mI/SjFaRX8KLoI/AAAAAAAABU8/d1GcmvlLhms/Anderumpe%20010.jpg?imgmax=512

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_BrGHzFCT5mI/SjFbVw1BQwI/AAAAAAAABVA/JWrJTvVNq8s/Anderumpe%20005.jpg?imgmax=512

And a Heinemann Z412 -80

June 12th, 2009, 1:08 am

Post Re: Boot extension
This is a bit Heath Robinson, not very pretty but it works.
We bought two plastic funnels (approx 4" dia) heated them up, "moulded" them into the shape of the corner of the bootbox, attached a length of plastic tubing to the end of each, long enough to protude out of the bottom corners of the boot box. Then attached inside each corner of bootbox with guess what......duck tape.
You have to be careful not to trap the tube with the boot box fixings, or it will fill up and spew over the top of the funnels. You will have to do some fine tuning but like the 2CV you will get there eventually.
When using out boot box we always cover the contents, so it tucks in down the sides, with lightweight polythene sheeting a large roll can be bought in Wilko's cheaply, we also use it to put it under the groundsheet on the tent, as you can read we err on caution rather a lot.
:geek:

June 12th, 2009, 6:22 pm

Oh dear, just noticed you are in Norway, cancel cheaply in Wilko's then!!

June 12th, 2009, 6:25 pm
Firing on two.

I have this problem too having also just bought a boot box.

I haven't worked it out yet, but what I've seen people do is drill a small hole in the top corner by the boot lid and insert a piece of hose pip.

Get a 3" length of garden hose and along 2" of it slit it in half so its almost a U rather than an O in shape. Block the open end of the U section. Then insert it into the hole with the O section protruding from the boot box. That way it should catch water and dribble it out the side.

Its also worth trimming the edges of the box with some edgeing trip which is a U shape so just clips onto the box. It'll protect your rear paint work.

June 12th, 2009, 8:32 pm
Firing on two.

Most of the stuff that goes in the boot box is light weight - slepping bags etc. I just put it all in bin liners and hope it doesn't rain too hard. Never had too much of a problem so far. My boot leaks a bit anyway!

June 13th, 2009, 7:54 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]