View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 16th, 2024, 11:26 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Prince of Darkness has changed his name to Ducellier. 
Firing on two.

Post The Prince of Darkness has changed his name to Ducellier.
After losing all our electricity last night I'm trying to find where it went. We are talking 6volts, dynamo, no fuse box, 40/45watt headlights, etc. here.
Engine started fine, starter spun it over @ normal speed, after about 2 miles on dip headlights I noticed there wasn't much light & no indicators, by time we found somewhere to stop, head lights were like the EveReady lamp I had on my push bike 40 years ago. Engine still ran, lights improved when engine reved but not up to normal standard. When stopped it was flat as a pancake.
Jumped it, without lights it is showing up to 6.9volts when reved, measured @ the regulator terminals, but @ tickover; only 3.5v - 4.5v measured @ reg input terminal (batt side showing 5.8v same as across battery terminals). Just off tickover reg cuts in & jumps to more tha 6.5v. Opened regulator & inside is all shiney, everything moves as should, points not burnt. All connections appear OK, no obvious shorts from chafe or suchlike. Had new dynamo brushes earlier this year. It appears to charge fine (battery voltage increasing longer engine left running above tickover) but not used lights much in last 3 months (this is my daily driver covering more than 100 miles a week) noticed in last week that the indicators had got seriously slow when lights or wipers were on...
I understand that diagnosis by phone (so to speak) is a mugs game. But.
I'm wondering if there is a short somewhere in the lighting circuit that could be draining the power quicker than the dynamo can make it? Without setting fire to the loom. The light switch was fairly warm - about the same as a dim/dip D*lly one?
Can anyone tell me what the values are for 6v i.e. what should I be seeing as a charge rate?
Is there anything glaring I've missed?

mike

July 1st, 2014, 2:49 pm
2CV Fan

Post Re: The Prince of Darkness has changed his name to Ducellier
With dipped headlights and the other bulbs a 6v battery could be discharging up to 20 amps. Not sure what the rating of the 2CV 6V dynamo is but would have thought it would normally cope. Is the battery itself in good condition? 6.9 Volts indicates that the dynamo is putting out some charge but perhaps others can say if it is enough. Do you have an ammeter that you can measure the drain on the battery? Having other cars with dynamo but no ammeter I bought a cheap 30-0-30 ammeter from an accessory shop and connect it for test purposes when I have problems.
Don
As an afterthought, I had a motorbike that ran off 6V, as the current drawn is twice that of a 12V system you can get a considerable voltage drop across poor contacts, there were times that I was getting 6V at the battery and only 4V at the bulb. could be why you switch is getting warm.

July 2nd, 2014, 9:25 am
Firing on two.

Had everything to bits, light switch, regulator, dynamo, etc. all seems fine cleaned it all, searched the loom for shorts, can't find anything wrong. Drove it 25 miles yesterday with the lights on, all fine. Very frustrating.
Nowt worse than an 'intermitant' fault. :x

July 3rd, 2014, 10:54 am
2CV Fan

Do you have the battery voltage indicator on the 6V system?
Most of the problems I've had on my 2CV (12V with alternator) have been electrical.
Bad contacts on the fuses, earthing on indicators etc but I see you have no fuses.
Don

July 3rd, 2014, 11:32 am
Firing on two.

No battery voltage indicator. But we do have an ENAC kit with a floor over the spare wheel well which is the only place I've not looked yet so I'm off outside to check for shorts in there... Rear light wireing is in there...

July 3rd, 2014, 11:35 am
Firing on two.

All the hidden wireing seems fine, ah well that would have been tooo easy... :?

July 3rd, 2014, 1:24 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]