View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 10:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 the oil cooler 
Firing on two.

Post the oil cooler
hi chaps, about a year ago i noticed that the front of the oil cooler was blocked with gunge
i don,t think it has ever been cleaned out , would this cause the oil to over-heat? (i,m guessing it could/ would) :?:
ive found that i fit the muff and leave it fitted when the weather isn,t as cold i can smell engine heat inside, is it a good idea to remove the cooling exhanger and give it a good clean in say -turps?
andy

December 24th, 2012, 10:56 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: the oil cooler
Or petrol or Gunk or sumat similar - shouldn't actually have to remove it to do this. Be gentle with it and possibly if the 'gunge' is v. oily find out where it has come from!
Muff is for serious cold weather otherwise it does run hot.
m

December 25th, 2012, 12:57 am
Firing on two.

thanks citreonboat the engine is very oil tight! the little "radiator" has just become blocked with old oil and debris
its probably best to clean it as u say ;)
i,ll do it on boxing day

December 25th, 2012, 1:51 am
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

ayjay,
are you a gambling man? :roll:
'Cos if we'd had a proper summer and you'd done some long fast trips with the car, you might just have been looking for a replacement set of pistons and barrels.

Any damage to the bearings, camshaft lobes, tappet faces and so on through having the oil overheated always takes a good while longer to manifest itself, but it does take place...

ken

ayjay wrote:
hi chaps, about a year ago i noticed that the front of the oil cooler was blocked with gunge
i don,t think it has ever been cleaned out , would this cause the oil to over-heat? (i,m guessing it could/ would) :?:
ive found that i fit the muff and leave it fitted when the weather isn,t as cold i can smell engine heat inside, is it a good idea to remove the cooling exhanger and give it a good clean in say -turps?
andy

December 25th, 2012, 1:52 am
Firing on two.

crikey :o i,d best get on with it then ken thanks for the info

December 25th, 2012, 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]