View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 6:05 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Gearbox Help! 
Firing on two.

Post Gearbox Help!
Discovered a funny noise tonight - when coasting in neutral I could here a clunk, clunk noise from the gearbox or driveshafts.

I popped the Beige Beast on some stands and, when in neutral, and spinning the wheels round, there was a distint clunk and the other driveshaft didn't revolve in the opposite way properly.

I whipped the top off the gearbox and looked in - nothing looked loose or jumping around and the oil was OK - I dropped the oil out and looked at magnetic plug which showed no major amounts of metal on it.

When I apply pressure to the 2/3 selector either way from neutral towards a gear the noise disappears....

So question....I don't think the diff is screwed, so is it likely to be that the selector has moved on the rod and it's just meshing in a gear?

If ithe box is screwed does anyone have a drum box as I was planning to go to France at the end of August?

1966 Ami Break

July 25th, 2012, 9:43 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

Post Re: Gearbox Help!
I think theres a nut loose at the rear end of the gearbox, probably the bottom one.
Did you drive backwards fast lately!!!!!!

I wouldn't drive it anymore, maybee you are lucky.
You need to take it out, look at the rear end nuts and take a look at the pinion and crownwheel too, when the bottom nut is loose, the pinion and crownwheel are probably gone.......

Wish you all the luck, you will need it.....

Sorry for my Englisch hope you understand what I'm trying to say.....

Russ

July 25th, 2012, 11:59 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Nels,
I presume that the gearbox was in neutral when you did this test?
Did you also try it in gear, as that would prevent the crownwheel from rotating so that only the differential gears were moving?

If you send me an email, I can send you some photographs which should help you check the positions of the selectors.
Before anyone jumps in; Yes, I do know that you're supposed to use the proper gauges for setting the selectors, but not everyone has those available and these photographs plus some short videos were enough to guide a 2CV owner in Paraguay through rewinding his gearbox a few weeks back...
I'm on < Slcchassis (at) btinternet.com >

ken

Ken

Nelsthebass wrote:
Discovered a funny noise tonight - when coasting in neutral I could here a clunk, clunk noise from the gearbox or driveshafts.

I popped the Beige Beast on some stands and, when in neutral, and spinning the wheels round, there was a distint clunk and the other driveshaft didn't revolve in the opposite way properly.

I whipped the top off the gearbox and looked in - nothing looked loose or jumping around and the oil was OK - I dropped the oil out and looked at magnetic plug which showed no major amounts of metal on it.

When I apply pressure to the 2/3 selector either way from neutral towards a gear the noise disappears....

So question....I don't think the diff is screwed, so is it likely to be that the selector has moved on the rod and it's just meshing in a gear?

If ithe box is screwed does anyone have a drum box as I was planning to go to France at the end of August?

July 26th, 2012, 12:23 am
Firing on two.

I always try and reverse slowly.......

Thanks for your input Ken - I tried it in Gear and both wheels rotated without the clunk....any clues?

Cheers

Paul

1966 Ami Break

July 26th, 2012, 9:04 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]