View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 19th, 2024, 7:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Useable heavy flywheel? 
Firing on two.

Post Re: Useable heavy flywheel?
Jameswallace wrote:
One last stupid question
Having never seen the clutch assembly, how is it fitted,
Make this two
Also, is it the surface with a 'step' in the first photo. Clean the whole side up?

there is the friction plate with a splined hub in the middle theis sits on the gearbox shaft and the domed coverplate incorporates a spring/s that press the friction plate agaist the flywheel

the bottom of the well is what the clutch mates to, so get all the rust of that. Then there is the raised rim with a further raised bit at the edge clean all that too especially the corner between the flat and the little raised rim- this is the location for the cover, if any crap stops the cover sitting in its rebate clean and square then your going to get judder.

fit the friction plate to the flywheel with the high part of the boss sticking out hold it in place with the clutch alignment tool, then fit the cover plate you have to screw it down gradually against high spring pressure so do it in stages and keep turning the alignment tool so that the friction plate is matched to the spigot hole in the crank. you will need 6 M6 bolts and shakeproof washers make sure the bolts are at least 8.8s (not some crappy "black Iron" stuff for holding wheelbarrows and roof gutters together)

April 17th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Firing on two.

blackjack wrote:
Took it off a very very rusty and knackered van that I cut up to make a donor pack for an Avion club member many years ago.

*runs for cover fearing collateral damage*

;)

James do note that the heavy flywheels were used on the lower compression engines resulting in torqy running, combined with the old gearboxes meaning you could climb mountains with that set up, ie - on a hill, Hetty will be chugging away in second and you'll be revving your nuts off in first....

So with the heavy wheel on a late engine with a late 'box, I guess you'll gain momentum at the expense of acceleration?

April 17th, 2012, 3:09 pm
Aircooled Idiot

602 wrote:
Jameswallace wrote:
One last stupid question
Having never seen the clutch assembly, how is it fitted,
Make this two
Also, is it the surface with a 'step' in the first photo. Clean the whole side up?

Clean everything!

Flywheel on first. [Loctite on the bolts] then the clutch assembly using the lining up tool "often" supplied in the box. Don't over tighten the six small bolts that hold it on and tighten them down in equal proportions so not to distort the clutch cover. There is now a diaphragm version of the clutch for these flywheels, see Roy's web site.

Cheers Paul. I'll take a wire brush on the grinder to it then

Actually answered a lot of questions that where on my mind, can't see how it would be bolted to the flywheel, but I'll wait and see why

Yes saw that in Roy's site, I will probably buy it at L2B and seek Roy's advice there about the centralising tool,

Thanks for the advice, I think I can nail this in te next month or so. I'll wait until after L2B to do it cos I won't need the car after then for a while

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 17th, 2012, 4:52 pm
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

Ps, lining up tool? Simple as it sounds?

1988 2cv 652cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 17th, 2012, 4:57 pm
Profile WWW
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Sam,
the 'heavy' flywheel/coil spring clutch was fitted right across the range of A series vehicles, also on 652 Visas, until the introduction of the 'light' flywheel/diaphragm clutch in February 1982.

There's also improved smoothness to consider, as well as those other factors you've mentioned. ;)

Ken

samfieldhouse wrote:

James do note that the heavy flywheels were used on the lower compression engines resulting in torqy running, combined with the old gearboxes meaning you could climb mountains with that set up, ie - on a hill, Hetty will be chugging away in second and you'll be revving your nuts off in first....

So with the heavy wheel on a late engine with a late 'box, I guess you'll gain momentum at the expense of acceleration?

April 17th, 2012, 5:09 pm
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
Ps, lining up tool? Simple as it sounds?

Pretty much. Its a stick [plastic] it passes through the clutch friction plate and into a hole [spigot bearing] in the flywheel. It keeps it all in line [centralised] while you bolt the clutch cover [diaphragm] up. Then you take it out. Without using it you will not get the gearbox to connect to the engine.
They do usually supply one with the clutch kit but if they don't any more I am sure someone will lend you one.

No offence is implied or intended with any of my posts. I love you all, well most of you anyway.

April 17th, 2012, 5:52 pm
Firing on two.

samfieldhouse wrote:
blackjack wrote:
Took it off a very very rusty and knackered van that I cut up to make a donor pack for an Avion club member many years ago.

*runs for cover fearing collateral damage*

;)

Yes to the torque, although you still need to drop the clutch and rev on the hills. I maintain that the heavy flyweel slows down the speed changes placed on the crank. I think that this is a good thing to make the crank last longer.

I'm guessing here but if Citroen had put an external oil filter on the 435cc unit, this would have been practically bomb proof unit.

Is that possible?

April 17th, 2012, 5:53 pm
Aircooled Idiot

blackjack wrote:
I've got the same flywheel but in much better condition - having been dried stored. If you were nearer we could swap as I only have it as a spare for lightening maybe. Took it off a very very rusty and knackered van that I cut up to make a donor pack for an Avion club member many years ago.

Ooh that's a kind offer

Are you at London to Brighton??

1988 2cv 652cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 17th, 2012, 6:03 pm
Profile WWW
Aircooled Idiot

Some great advice. Thanks. I'll clean it up and report back with a picture.

I'm feelin pretty confident about this, I'll get this cracked easily I recon

1988 2cv 652cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 17th, 2012, 6:08 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

baron_matt wrote:
I'm guessing here but if Citroen had put an external oil filter on the 435cc unit, this would have been practically bomb proof unit.

Is that possible?

I thought 435s did have oil filters, it was 425 that don't?

April 17th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next