View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 20th, 2024, 2:20 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Useable heavy flywheel? 
Firing on two.

Location: Alone in my polytunnel with my pitiful competition onions
Post Re: Useable heavy flywheel?
Use threadlock on your flywheel bolts, and make sure you torque them up properly. You don't want the flywheel coming off at eleven million rpm or whatever they do at full chat.

April 17th, 2012, 6:48 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

No external filter on the 435cc A79/1 engine, not to be confused with the earlier 425cc A79/0.

Ken

samfieldhouse wrote:
baron_matt wrote:
I'm guessing here but if Citroen had put an external oil filter on the 435cc unit, this would have been practically bomb proof unit.

Is that possible?

I thought 435s did have oil filters, it was 425 that don't?

April 17th, 2012, 7:58 pm
Firing on two.

baron_matt wrote:
I maintain that the heavy flyweel slows down the speed changes placed on the crank. I think that this is a good thing to make the crank last longer.

I wouldn't know about that, but my prediction is that it'll slow down your gear changes, as it'll take longer for the whirly bits to slow down/speed up.

April 18th, 2012, 4:09 am

Hmm,
that's two recommendations so far to threadlock the flywheel bolts, however there's no such advice in any of Citroen's manuals.
Since flywheel bolts are torqued above their elastic limit, refitting old ones runs the risk of failure.
You may be lucky and they won't break, but then again you may not...

Ken

Rhythm Thief wrote:
Use threadlock on your flywheel bolts, and make sure you torque them up properly. You don't want the flywheel coming off at eleven million rpm or whatever they do at full chat.

April 18th, 2012, 11:10 am
Firing on two.

Yes, that's the other thing I should have mentioned ... use new flywheel bolts. I know people do reuse old ones, but I'm not among them. Threadlock is a personal choice, but I like it as a sort of belt and braces thing.

April 18th, 2012, 3:34 pm
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
blackjack wrote:
I've got the same flywheel but in much better condition - having been dried stored. If you were nearer we could swap as I only have it as a spare for lightening maybe. Took it off a very very rusty and knackered van that I cut up to make a donor pack for an Avion club member many years ago.

Ooh that's a kind offer

Are you at London to Brighton??

No - I'm in Chester. It's here to be picked up if you are ever passing. I doubt very much if I'll ever use it as my next project is a Guzzi engine on a VW gearbox using Blackjack Zero parts. BTW - it's the thickest heaviest 2CV flywheel I've ever seen. I think I have a photo archived somewhere and could post it if you are serious about it.

Last edited by blackjack on April 18th, 2012, 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 18th, 2012, 3:41 pm
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
Ps, lining up tool? Simple as it sounds?

You can make a really nice tool from an old input shaft if you can find a gearbox beyond economic repair - one that's been sitting around outside and is full of water for example. Just take a cutting disc to it. If you use a cutting torch you don't even have to take the bellhousing off to get access.

April 18th, 2012, 3:44 pm
Firing on two.

My 2 cents worth on flywheels.
Heavy = [*]Stores energy, Good for cruising at speed, bad for aresponsive engine
[*]More stress on your crankshaft
[*]Slower gear changes
[*]Smoother Idle
[*]Better inertia up a hill, down shift comes later, but the end speed is decreased because of more turning mass!

Lighter = [*]Engine revs increase AND drop faster
[*]Requires more revs (torque) on take-off
[*]Less stress on your crankshaft
[*]Faster Gear changes
[*]Rougher Idle
[*]Faster out of corners :twisted:
[*]Less inertia up a hill, down shift can happen earlier but your end speed is greater.

It all comes down to driving style and preference.

Harley

April 18th, 2012, 4:38 pm
Firing on two.

The faster/slower gearchange thing, while doubtless technically true, is irrelevant in terms of what you notice while actually driving. I can't say I ever found myself thinking "blimey, the gears are much slower with this heavier flywheel" when driving the Ami. I can confidently guarantee you won't notice the difference in real terms.

April 18th, 2012, 6:30 pm

Harley,
the flywheel is bolted to the crankshaft and a heavier one will have more rotational inertia and can therefore 'store' more energy.
The heavier it is (or to be more precise, the greater its rotational inertia) the more it can absorb any input tending to accelerate or decelerate its rate of rotation.

Because of that characteristic, I think it acts as a sort of shock absorber when changing up or down through the gears and will reduce stresses on the crankshaft from harsh gear changes, for example.

As for the gearbox, that's a different matter, especially if the owner is fond of dropping the clutch at the lights with the engine running at 6,000 rpm... :roll:

Ken.

April 18th, 2012, 7:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next