View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 26th, 2024, 5:23 pm

Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Oil Temperature 
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Post Re: Oil Temperature
Dyane61976,
If I was going to add any monitoring instrument to an A series, it would be a cylinder head temperature gauge, on the basis that its rapid response gives much more of a safety margin than an oil temperature gauge.
Somehow, I doubt that it will ever happen, though.

Also, I think you'll find that the flat spot on 1st choke has more to do with carburation than temperature, although the ambient temperature does have some effect.

Fitting the cover on the front means that the static pressure at the fan intake due to the vehicle's forward motion is reduced and since carburettors are 'velocity' sensitive rather than 'pressure' sensitive, the level of fuel in the emulsion tubes will not be depressed as much, richening the mixture slightly.

The best way to get rid of the flat spot is to increase the primary petrol jet by 2 steps.
If yours is the early version of the 26/35 carb, with 21 and 24mm choke sizes, make sure that the primary petrol jet is a 125, instead of the 120 which was sometimes fitted.

Ken/

April 16th, 2012, 7:30 pm
Firing on 1-2 Spark

In my yellow Ami (look at the left) I have a oil temp sensor in the bottem of the rock cover, highest oil temp ever was 120 degrees celcius; traveling in Greece (WM 98) going up a mountain road 1. gear for 10km. outside temp. about 42 degrees celcius.............. :oops:

Russ

April 16th, 2012, 7:39 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Thanks for replys. I think I will braze a fitting into the rocker cover and see what is happing in there. Do not know what it will tell me -will it make me slow down if I see it going high??? Maybe not :D

April 16th, 2012, 7:50 pm
Firing on two.

I've seen crankcase temperatures of 120*C. Maybe I should monitor the heads, or maybe I don't want to know. (That's not a 602)

April 17th, 2012, 12:41 am
Firing on two.

If you are seeing mass oil at 120 deg I would recommend you looking at your oil cooler.

April 17th, 2012, 8:45 am
Aircooled Idiot

On the basis my oil coolers not blocked and the oil is flowing and air passing over the system I assume mines ok

1988 2cv 652cc
1993 Toyota Hilux Surf 3000cc runs on Bio Diesel
2004 Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4200cc runs on Bio Diesel
1998 Daihatsu Hijet 1300cc
2005 Susuki Bandit 650cc

April 17th, 2012, 8:59 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Jameswallace wrote:
On the basis my oil coolers not blocked and the oil is flowing and air passing over the system I assume mines ok

Good answer. None of my 2 2cv's have an oil temperature gauge as standard fitting. They do have a dip stick though.

No offence is implied or intended with any of my posts. I love you all, well most of you anyway.

April 17th, 2012, 9:11 am
Firing on two.

I fitted a oil temp sensor to the rocker cover and often had oil temps of 90c+

Since I also had cylinder head guages I moved it to the sump to see the difference. Around town I'm now reading 50 to 60c but on motorways it sits around 80.

Interestingly I noted that as the air temp drops below 0c it is much harder to get the oil temperature up. Nowadays I use the standard grill from 0c to 10c. One with one set of holes taped up from -10 to 0c and the whole thing taped up when it is below -10c. I've found that this way I can keep the oil temp and more importantly me and the interior of the car warm when its really cold.

On the trip to Lapland in 2004 we even played with blocking part of the oil cooler as it was so cold but thankfully in the UK its not that cold!!

April 17th, 2012, 11:09 am
Firing on two.

602 wrote:
Jameswallace wrote:

Good answer. None of my 2 2CV's have an oil temperature gauge as standard fitting. They do have a dip stick though.

You really shouldn't talk about Steve like that :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Now we're back in Manot will be in touch re steering wheel regards Bob.

April 17th, 2012, 12:04 pm
Firing on two.

I've just droped the sensor of an oil temp gauge inside the cylinder head cooling cavity, among the fins , so now I have a aproximate but usefull temp reading.

April 17th, 2012, 12:17 pm
Reply to topic   [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next