View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 8:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
 idling problems with a Solex 26/35 
2CV Fan

Post Re: idling problems with a Solex 26/35
Have you checked if the choke pulloff thingy is stuffed? That's the gadget on the top of the carb on the drivers side and to the rear of the carb. With the engine running, it should pull the little rod backwards, when you try to pull it forwards. Many have a stuffed diaphragm leading to air leaks. Undo the two screws and fashion up a new gasket (from gasket paper) but DON'T put a hole in it (except for the two screw holes). Reassemble onto carb. This should stop air leaking into carb. The gadget is not repairable, a new one costs about 85 quid.

Daffy Duck

May 12th, 2009, 5:25 am

These comments are not specifically related to A models but are typical of cars that will not idle.
As others have said, check that any adjustable jets have not vibrated out leaving a gaping hole to suck air.
One of the most common causes is an intake air leak somewhere below the top of the carby.. which of course with additional air and no fuel.."leans off" the mixture so the car won't run at idle.
On other cars the vacuum hoses ( pollution and brake booster) are usual suspects as are carby and manifold gaskets.

BEING CAREFUL WITH FLAMMABLE MATERIAL AND HOT ENGINES. :evil: .it is not uncommon to spray small bursts of eg Carby cleaner/Aerostart etc around the base of each component of the carby/intake manifolds/and any other possible join between the carby and cyl. head with the car running ( albeit on high idle ....if you can get it to idle.)

The additional sprayed "fuel" temporarily blocks the leak and increases the
engine speed as it is sucked in through the leaking area..helping you identify/locate the area for attention.

Do some more research if you are not sure about this process.

Cheers
Bob

May 12th, 2009, 12:44 pm
Firing on two.

Hi All

Should have updated sooner....

i took out the idle jet, gave it a good blast of carb. cleaner and blew through it a few times, stuck it back on, hand tight to stop it falling out later on (as i have heard can happen). then screwed the mixture right in, and out 6 turns (i got to say that was before i read the above stories - but i did it carefully and stopped screwing once any resistance was felt.

it idles perfectly now!!! all done!!!

thanks for all your help guys - will go and look at the codes on the carb later Ken, will let you know. Are you Ken Hanna?

will

May 15th, 2009, 10:45 am
Firing on two.

Willami wrote:
Hi All

Should have updated sooner....

stuck it back on, hand tight to stop it falling out later on (as i have heard can happen). will

Will need a bit more than that! pretty tight using a spanner that fits or youll be joining our "i dropped one of those once" club : :lol:

Sean

May 16th, 2009, 5:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2