View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 27th, 2024, 2:15 pm

Reply to topic  [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Battery size. 
Firing on two.

Post Battery size.
First a Q and then an observation!

The Q - what size fits the 2CV? I ask 'cos the battery tray suggests a max 207mm length (and there are batteries that size such as the Bosch S3 001) but most manufacturers suggest the 063 size will fit the 2CV. However, the 063 (on paper, at least) is a centimetre longer at 217mm.

Harrummpphhhh. So, is the 063 really 217mm long and, if so, will it still fit without going over the front 'lip' of the tray? Ta.

And now the observation (tho' I bet it's old hat to you lot :? )... IF the 063 will fit, then in theory so should the slightly taller 079 (the same 212mm L x 175mm W, but 190mm high as opposed to 175mm). I've looked at the mounting clamp, and the nuts will unscrew a huge amount which to my measurements should easily cover the extra 15mm height, with no headroom issues either.

Why would you want to fit an 079 instead of an 063? Because it gives an extra, potentially useful, 6+ Ah for the same footprint. 6Ah might not seem much, but for our wee batteries it's around 14% extra.

Another little observation from my battery hunt is that Exide seem - on paper at least - to make the most powerful batteries for the money amongst the known brands (I bet someone will now point out a better option...) Exide Excell 079 50Ah 3yr-g'tee battery can be had for just over £38 delivered.

April 3rd, 2012, 12:51 pm
2CV Fan

Post Re: Battery size.
Just measured a bosch 063 battery and it is 207 long 175H and 175W, hope this helps ?

Brian..

PS
Physically measured the length (ooe err missus) but spec can be found here
either your Reg or under batt section http://www.eurocarparts.com (and no i dont work for them) :)

April 3rd, 2012, 1:52 pm
Agony Aunt - You have a car problem? Speak to Ken

Are the battery posts the correct way round on this alternative?
If not, you will find that replacement leads are required.

ken

April 3rd, 2012, 1:59 pm
Firing on two.

Where's James Wallace when you need him? ;)

April 3rd, 2012, 3:19 pm
Firing on two.

Thanks all.

Paravion, I've checked that website - very useful info (although it's too clever for its own good - I couldn't get it to 'find' an 079 battery!) The 063 was certainly the one that came up under '2CV', but it's interesting how some of the makes are shown as being 207mm long and others 212mm. Anyways, they should all fit I guess. Your actual measurement has confirmed it's ok - thanks :D

Spookily, the company that came up with my best price mentioned above^^^ was 'Eurocarparts' on eBay - probably the same peeps?

Ken, good point, but they are the same - the only difference I can see is that the 079 is about 15mm taller - and more powerful.

Lenny, last I heard James was shoe-horning an industrial forklift battery into his car - seems like when he runs out of petrol, he runs the car on the starter motor...

I've just ordered an 079 Exide and now wondering what to do with the extra 6Ahs... :)

April 3rd, 2012, 5:36 pm
Firing on two.

Yep,James is the boy for battery talk ;)

April 3rd, 2012, 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Is the length you quote the overall length? Most batteries I've had have a sort of seam/join at the top that'd make it longer overall, while the bit that sits in the tray should be short enough?

Just another thought, probably irrelevant but my car is lhd and the battery is a bit higher up on them, the terminals are very close to the bonnet, so using the taller option might not be possible.

April 3rd, 2012, 6:25 pm
Firing on two.

Devils Advocate wrote:

I've just ordered an 079 Exide and now wondering what to do with the extra 6Ahs... :)

run a hydrogen cell :lol:

April 3rd, 2012, 7:06 pm
Firing on two.

I'm sure the extra amps the battery has will be lost after a few starts of the engine, as the alternator can only supply a given amount to replenish what's lost. I'm sure it was somebody on this forum that told me not to bother with a higher spec. battery. Though I could be wrong. Is CCA the same thing? Thinking about it, it's extra CCAs that the alternator can't supply. Of course, I could very well be talking bollox. :lol:

April 3rd, 2012, 7:25 pm
Firing on two.

Lenny wrote:
Where's James Wallace when you need him? ;)

Yeah, She'll fit.

April 3rd, 2012, 7:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 27 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next