View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently April 28th, 2024, 1:53 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 SU Manifold 
Firing on two.

Post SU Manifold
Anyone interested in an all stainless manifold to fit an HS2 SU to a 2CV? Will work with a standard car or a 2CV based kit. Will cost around £30. I need to get about 10 people interested to make the laser cutting set up worthwhile.

March 19th, 2012, 11:58 pm
Firing on two.

Post Re: SU Manifold
Excuse my ignorance.. What's an su?

March 20th, 2012, 1:19 pm
Firing on two.

Carburetter fitted to a lot of old British cars (Minis, Minors,Metros etc).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SU_carburetor

March 20th, 2012, 2:26 pm
2CV Fan

I am interested

March 21st, 2012, 1:27 am
Firing on two.

thanks johnathan, im interested.

March 21st, 2012, 3:12 am
Firing on two.

Jonathan wrote:
Carburetter fitted to a lot of old British cars (Minis, Minors,Metros etc).

looking at the examples - alarm bells should be ringing

2cv is fitted with an ultra reliable fixed jet progressive twin barrel carb made by one of the best. ok its not sexy like "webber" or "dellorto"

Grumpy old man thats done too many 12hr shifts says"get yer car running properly first before you bolt some shonky mini metro carb to it" and dont come crying....etc

;) :lol:

March 21st, 2012, 9:03 am
Firing on two.

My recollection of SU carbs from two minis and a couple of midgets I once owned are that they are right bastards to balance, always need topping up with oil and had magnificent flat spots that would shame a Solex...I suspect that the only reason one would want to bolt them on is that in theory they would be larger in size than the standard solex but that doesnt always mean more power - just wasted fuel and an all pervading air of petrol fumes in the car.....

1966 Ami Break

March 21st, 2012, 11:38 am
2CV Fan

Well, I've never had trouble balancing twin SU's.
Fitted a pair to my Traction many years ago with a home made manifold and although I didn't notice a great improvement in perforrmance my fuel consumption went from 25 t0 30mpg.
Be interesting to find out how a single HS2 will perform on a 2CV.
Don

March 21st, 2012, 5:49 pm
Firing on two.

Not negative at all on this, just would be interested in the reason to fit SU to 2cv, is it economy or speed or something else?

blackjack wrote:
Anyone interested in an all stainless manifold to fit an HS2 SU to a 2CV? Will work with a standard car or a 2CV based kit. Will cost around £30. I need to get about 10 people interested to make the laser cutting set up worthwhile.

March 22nd, 2012, 11:35 am
Profile WWW
Firing on two.

Roy Eastwood wrote:
Not negative at all on this, just would be interested in the reason to fit SU to 2cv, is it economy or speed or something else?

Both of the above - and it's different - and because we can - and it looks nice - and it will work with a turbo or a supercharger. A decent one can be bought for around £15. Also it costs about £25 to rebuild an SU using parts from Burlens. Not meaning to be negative at all, but a reconditioned Solex from ECAS is £189.

Of course, the Solex was developed by Citroen absolutely and utterly regardless of cost and is completely perfect - like everything on a 2CV.

SU a "shonky piece of kit"? I don't have any idea what that might mean - but I do know that SU's (exactly the same as used in "shonky" Metros, just bigger) have been fitted as original equipment right into the 1980's to Rolls Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Jaguar, Austin Healey and many more. Solexes of the sort used in the 2CV were fitted to cheap family cars and vans.

Solex - ultra reliable in 2CVs? Yes - when they were new 30+ years ago. Now? Well looking at the pages and pages of threads about carb problems on this forum it doesn't seems so now.

This is reminicent of my offering phosphor bronze and delrin bearing cups for steering arms. Nobody liked them because Citroen never made them that way - but plenty of people PM'd me to buy them. Clearly this is a product that users of this Forum do not want. I totally understand that so it is no longer for sale to users of this forum.

March 22nd, 2012, 10:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next